View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Movie Discusssions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Star Trek XI
Cynic
So I saw the new full-length trailer for the Star Trek reboot today. Anyone else looking forward to the movie?

I'd post a link, but they're all bad bootlegs. I'll put one up once the high-def version is officially released.

catman
Is the Star Trek lineage already up to XI? I'm somewhat interested in the new movie.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
Techncically up to 11, yeah. But of course for good reason, this one is just called "Star Trek".

Bob of QF
Somehow, I missed that one. In fact, I think I missed 9 and 10, too.....

*sigh*

I really need to get out more.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Sinny
I grew up watching star trek. Looks like I have to get out more too Bob I didn't know the movie. Sheesh I didn't even see any ads for it.

derF
If I am not mistaken this new Star Trek is based on the old Star Trek with all the good ol' original characters played by new actors. Is that the one we are discussing?

http://www.imdb.c...tt0796366/

Here are photo's and trailers from Internet Movie Database.

I understand Leonard Nimoy has a Cameo but Shatner was left out in the cold. Simon Pegg should do a good job a Scotty. Eric Bana, I thought, was going to be Kirk but it appears he is one of the bad guys.
Edited by derF on 11/15/2008 20:23
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Cynic
As much as I like Simon Pegg, his is the casting I'm worried about them most -- not that it's a deal-breaker. In the series, at least, Scotty had qualities of irritated, exasperated, jovial, cocky, dependable, and durable, all of which I'm sure Pegg can handle. But he also had a major air of intimitation and menace to him when needed, particularly when in charge. He really struck you as someone you didn't want to mess with, even when he was in a good mood.

They played it down in the movies after Doohan started getting fatter and considerably less menacing a figure. But whenever Simon Pegg tries to look intimidating it just comes across as funny, and worse, as someone you'd want to mess with just to get a rise out of. I don't know if I'll like that, but maybe I'm selling his ability short. (Though short is definately no small part of the problem here.)

Cynic
On the other hand, I love the casting of Karl Urban as Bones.

derF
All right, I am going off thread here but I find it eminently amusing that James Doohan's ashes were lost when the rocket that was to lift them into space malfunctioned and was lost. So, in other words, James Doohan, star of Star Trek, was Lost in Space.
Edited by derF on 11/15/2008 22:37
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
Okay, that's cool: a re-addressing of the favorite story line of the series (original series).

I may have to go rent the rest, though, and play catch up...

catman
When I saw Bones mentioned above, my mind went off thinking about Emily Deschanel.

I never thought Scotty in the old Star Treks was ever very intimidating. IMO, he never got much beyong earnest. I liked the character played by Doohan a great deal.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Nails3Jesus0
Is that Harold playing Sulu from Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle?

Cynic
Yep!

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
When I saw Bones mentioned above, my mind went off thinking about Emily Deschanel.

My favorite show.

Cynic
I think Karl Urban would make a terrible Temperance Brennen.

Cynic
OK, here's the trailer:

http://www.apple..../startrek/

Nails3Jesus0
I finnally saw the trailer while watching Fringe the other night. I will definetly make a trip to the theater when it comes out... NEXT SUMMER! Jesus Tits, how disapointing, I thought it would come out during the xmas time. Sad
Edited by Nails3Jesus0 on 11/19/2008 16:21

Cynic
While Christmas is the traditional Star Trek Movie Release Season, they decided they had a good enough product for summer. That, or they're operating with a go big or go home attitude. Either way, they're probably right. This way they can also mop up on DVD/Blueray sales next Christmas. (Assuming anyone has any money left.)

Cynic
If you don't mind spoilers, here's something considerably juicier than the trailer.

http://www.coming...p?id=50627
Edited by Cynic on 11/20/2008 10:22

Cynic
So... has anyone seen this yet? I have to wait until next weekend.

Jump to Forum: