Print Thread
How old is the internet?
Skeeve
Find out:

http://www.howold...ernet.com/
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

derF
Wow, who'd a thunk it?

I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

neilmarr
Odd when I think how great a part of my life it is today that for its first five years, I'd never even heard about the internet, and that I never dreamed of ever using it until I was in my forties.

I clearly remember a whizkid at Liverpool Univsersity back in the sixties, though, who told me he'd discovered a way -- using fibre cables -- for people to communicate with each other nationwide in pictures and words via their television sets, and that the system was being tried out on a US university campus and another in Switzerland, which suggests the idea has been afloat for at least forty years.

Best. Neil

catman
It wasn't anything like it is today for the first five years and more, not really catching on until the early 1990s.
Edited by catman on 11/19/2008 00:36
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I don't think the internet will ever catch on. Smile
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

neilmarr
DT's right, of course. If the internet had caught on, though, it would make the Great Library at Alexandria look like the corner mom and pop second hand book store.

I find what I now have available at my fingertips without budging from this desk in this room in this little town, simply overwhelming.

Sadly, it might be literally overwhelming. There are times when there's so much information available that we can't see the wood for trees and find it difficult to keep a line of enquiry straight because the tangents are so attractive.

It'll probably be another generation or two before people really learn how to live comfortably with this source of instant and unlimited information.

Neil

Cynic
Search engines are already a huge bonus.

cheshiredragon
neilmarr wrote:
Odd when I think how great a part of my life it is today that for its first five years, I'd never even heard about the internet, and that I never dreamed of ever using it until I was in my forties.

I clearly remember a whizkid at Liverpool Univsersity back in the sixties, though, who told me he'd discovered a way -- using fibre cables -- for people to communicate with each other nationwide in pictures and words via their television sets, and that the system was being tried out on a US university campus and another in Switzerland, which suggests the idea has been afloat for at least forty years.

Best. Neil

He spoke of ARPANET. Started in 1969 it linked many colleges. UCLA and the Stanford Research Institute were the first and University of Utah came in later. The Internet links 3 or more major institutions so the internet is technically 40yrs old. Mainstream, 25. I started in 1990. ARR "Let the users surf and the pirates set sail"
Edited by cheshiredragon on 11/19/2008 00:14
That's right, I said it...

Jump to Forum: