View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Newsweek is a piece of shit rag
Skeeve
What the hell are they thinking over there?

http://www.newswe.../id/169192

Article title:

Is Obama the Antichrist?

The winning lottery number in Illinois was 666, which, as everyone knows, is the sign of the Beast.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
Cynic
I would assume the article was written sort of tongue-in-cheek.
 
Skeeve
No, it wasn't. But it did give those RR whackaloons some national publicity. If you read the article, there really isn't any type of negative reporting. They treat that group like they're relevant and NOT a bunch of creepy religious nutjobs.

Read the article, it's only four large paragraphs. But it's friggin Newsweek, not the Enquirer.
Edited by Skeeve on 11/19/2008 09:34
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
neilmarr
Not so much tongue-in-cheek as a complete piss take, I reckon. Nicely wraps up what a set of nuts the RR people (those waiting for 'a huge, upward whoosh called the Rapture', actually are. Riddled with neat little *mickey-takes. Neil

*Mickey Mouse had his eightieth birthday this week. N
 
Nails3Jesus0
Write a letter to the editor. If they're worth their salt, they will respond.
 
Doubting Thomas
I thought the article was well-written, and not really giving the RR crowd any credence, but actually showing what kind of nutjobs they really are. The article seems to be level, leaving it to the reader to agree or disagree with what the RR crowd believes.

Personally, I think everyone should be exposed to raptureready.com to see what kind of crazy idiots fundamentalist Christians can be. The best way to discredit crazy loons is to let people see that they are crazy loons.

I mean, think about it... the guy who owns raptureready.com bought a few other domain names in case raptureready.com crashes during armageddon. What makes him think that during the apocalyptic end times war that the internet will remain intact?
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 11/19/2008 11:05
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
Skeeve
I guess I'm the only one who sees the "There's no such thing as bad press". Since they didn't come right out and say, "Hey, look at this website full of nutjobs!", the RR crowd will gain more members and recogition. They will take this article as some kind of acknowledgment of their "services".


"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
seeker
My objection is that the article presents a notion that these people may actually have a legitimate fear. The only real balance is the vague suggestion that these people always get excited when times are stressful
 
catman
I agree with DT. I thought the article was written in a 'level' sort of way, allowing the reader to draw his own conclusions as to the mental health of the rapturists. As for free publicity, everyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the last 50 years knows there are those sort of wackos out there. I don't think it helps them any.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Nails3Jesus0
catman wrote:
I agree with DT. I thought the article was written in a 'level' sort of way, allowing the reader to draw his own conclusions as to the mental health of the rapturists. As for free publicity, everyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the last 50 years knows there are those sort of wackos out there. I don't think it helps them any.


Hell, Catman, the RR wierdos like to advertise to the world their delusion with bumper stickers on their cars that say they wll be unmaned in case of rapture. To me, their stickers might as well say, "Deluded, brainwashed cult member at the wheel."
 
derF
Well, I too felt the article was more or less straightly reported. I am also of the opinion that all magazines have articles in them that someone or another will find offensive. IMHO Newsweek doesn't warrent the "Piece of Shit" moniker.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
Skeeve
seeker wrote:
My objection is that the article presents a notion that these people may actually have a legitimate fear. The only real balance is the vague suggestion that these people always get excited when times are stressful

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
RayvenAlandria
My impression is that someone at Newsweek believes this bullshit and they created the article as a way to get the thought out there without actually stating that they believe it. ( to avoid complaints,they can pretend they are unbiased and blow off the negative comments).

The reason I believe this is because they would have made more of an effort to make the nutjobs look like nutjobs if they weren't one of them. The article was way too polite to the whackaloons to not be a manipulation.
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 11/19/2008 23:08
 
catman
Nails3Jesus0 wrote:Hell, Catman, the RR wierdos like to advertise to the world their delusion with bumper stickers on their cars that say they wll be unmaned in case of rapture. To me, their stickers might as well say, "Deluded, brainwashed cult member at the wheel."

I agree completely. IMO, that strengthens my argument that everyone already knows these idiots are around. The Newsweek article is almost comical.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Cynic
I have a similar reaction to bumper stickers that say "Jesus is my co-pilot". It worries me that I'm sharing the road with someone who feels incompetent enough to require a co-pilot in the car, let alone one who doesn't even exist.
 
Nails3Jesus0
Cynic wrote:
I have a similar reaction to bumper stickers that say "Jesus is my co-pilot". It worries me that I'm sharing the road with someone who feels incompetent enough to require a co-pilot in the car, let alone one who doesn't even exist.


That reminds me of the scene in Annie Hall when Alvy is visiting Annie's family and he talks to Annie's brother, played by Christopher Walken, and Walken relates a reouccuring fantasy to Alvy that he gets an overwhelming urge to steer into the oncomming headlights when he drives at night. The next scene is Walken driving them home at night in the rain and the look of utter terror on Alvy's face is just priceless.
Not sure where I was hoping to go with this... oh well.
 
Doubting Thomas
Don't forget the Jesus fish symbol. If anyone feels religious enough to need to put a Jesus fish symbol on the back of their car, it just screams "fundie!"
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
Cynic
Worse at the Jesus fish with the cross for an eye -- just in case you didn't understand what the fish meant.
 
Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Don't forget the Jesus fish symbol. If anyone feels religious enough to need to put a Jesus fish symbol on the back of their car, it just screams "fundie!"
Cynic wrote:
Worse at the Jesus fish with the cross for an eye -- just in case you didn't understand what the fish meant.


I watch out for those.

Cares with either emblem are LESS likely to use turn signals, MORE likely to speed, to ignore basic traffic safety, and so on.

Often seen with a cell-phone glued to the driver's face.

That much carelessness makes me wary of their actual insurance, too....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Cynic
I've noticed they're more likely to leave their turn-signals on -- 'cause they're usually old. Smile
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Take another little piece of my heart Music Discussions 4 05/17/2012 14:56
Holy shit, I'm getting all misty eyed... Pleased to meet you! 33 04/06/2009 21:09
Holy Shit Dude! The Lounge 10 10/10/2008 22:10