View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Pseudo-Science
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Flat-Earthers still out there
Doubting Thomas
http://www.foxnew...02,00.html

This was posted on, of all things, a Fox News website. Apparently the Flat Earth Society is still in existance, though I doubt they have a lot of members. For some reason, they believe that the earth is disc-shaped. Unfortunately for them it doesn't explain the orbit of non-geosychronous satellites or how anyone can traverse the South Pole in Antarctica.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
I wonder how many (if any) of them take it seriously. Many of them probably think it's a hoot.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
Never underestimate people's capacity to be stupid and gullible. Smile

General-Pryce
There's an annoying verse in the Bible ( I think its in Isiah) that says the earth hangs like a disc. This has been taken two ways:

1. The Earth is flat
2. the Bible prooves the Earth is a sphere

Point 2 is, well, pointless, as a disc and a sphere are two completely different objects, which leaves point 1. It's stupid, it's retarded, but I have a grudging respect for the Christians who take the Bible literally. At least they are following and believeing everything their religion says- even though it is daft, whereas those who pick and choose annoy me more.
Edited by General-Pryce on 12/12/2008 10:03

Cynic
I had a friend once who insisted that if he were to become a Christian, he wouldn't be all half-assed about it like most are. At the time I thought that was commendable. Now I wonder if it isn't far worse, overall, to be half-assed as a thinker in general. If not running with every absurdity in the bible makes most Christians hypocritical, what does it say about those people of rare religious integrity, as regards their fidelity to their own honesty and ability to use their brains?

Just goes to show that nothing can be considered in a vacuum, really. Flat-Earthers should be challenged to prove their assertion by trying to shove something off the edge of the Earth without the use of ballistic propulsion.

seeker
How do these people earn livings? One would think such impaired thinking would prevent them from getting jobs.

Doubting Thomas
Yeah, I'd like to see them try to prove their theory by traveling to the edge of the earth and describing what they see off the edge. Of course, since that's all the way down there in Antarctica (south pole), they're never going to do that. Frankly, I don't see how anyone can honestly believe the earth is flat, because if that were so then why is it not daytime or nighttime across the entire planet at the same time? If earth is disc-shaped, then this would be the case since the "top" of the planet would all be facing the sun at the same time.

As far as biblical prediction of the sperical shape of the earth, biblical apologists claim that the passage about "the circle of the earth" claims that it is saying the earth is spherical. I think they use the "lost translation" defense by claiming that the original Hebrew word for "circle" meant "sphere." However, if you understand how the biblical authors and society at the time understood the earth, they believed that giant pillars rose up from the surface of the earth which held the "firmament" in place, separating heaven from the sky. The stars, moon, & sun all traveled between the surface of the earth and the firmament.

And don't forget the passage where, when Jesus was in the desert for 40 days & nights, the devil took him up to the highest mountain to show him "all the kingdoms of the earth." I'd think it's impossible to see all the kingdoms of the world from a mountain on a spherical planet, but if you think the world is flat then it's easy to visualize.

Nails3Jesus0
seeker wrote:
How do these people earn livings? One would think such impaired thinking would prevent them from getting jobs.

I'm thinking that most live at the ends of remote county roads in their little shacks cooking meth.

Bob of QF
But Wait! There's More!

http://www.alaska...ociety.htm

Anyone else see the abject irony of a flat earth society having a home page on the internet?

:lol:
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

cheshiredragon
Cynic wrote:
Never underestimate people's capacity to be stupid and gullible. Smile

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large(or in this case small) groups.
That's right, I said it...

cheshiredragon
Nails3Jesus0 wrote:
seeker wrote:

I'm thinking that most live at the ends of remote county roads in their little shacks cooking meth.

I have had some pretty brain dead jobs that require no thinking at all. I was a register jockey! even a chimp could have been my manager and would possibly have replaced me cause it wouldn't make smart ass remarks to dumb ass customers. I am BAD at doing that.
Long term Meth abuse does make most of them looney
(watch Intervention, on A&E, Monday's 8/7c) not sure of that time but, everything else is good. Once in a while they will have a meth addict and they are NUTZ, especially the long term users.
ANYWAY, if this were the case it wouldn't surprise me as to their theory of a flat earth.

I want to know why they would even think the world still is flat even after seeing pictures, video of a round earth and other planets being round.
Come to think of it I ran into a guy about 10 or so years ago when I was working for Dell. I mention the company because I am surprised a company like Dell would hire this guy. Of course over the recent years Dell has surprised me. OMG, back on track, Richard!!! OK, so he believed that the earth is round but, get this: HOLLOW. Yes, no center, its and empty egg. He even showed me a (blurry)picture of some clouds that were kind of drooping down like they were going in a hole at the north pole, that is where the hole to gain access to the center of the planet is. Back then I was even less politically correct(hard to imagine) I said, "That picture is photoshoped!" and said it somewhat loud. Then he goes on to tell me he read a story of a guy who was flying a plane, found the hole and flew in it and was flying on the inside of the planet. Then I said I read a story about a carpenter who claimed to be some sort of super human but, called it bullshit. I could feel him getting angry at that point so I just walked away.
That's right, I said it...

Nails3Jesus0
Bob of QF wrote:
But Wait! There's More!

http://www.alaska...ociety.htm

Anyone else see the abject irony of a flat earth society having a home page on the internet?

:lol:

I haven't looked at this site long enough to decide if it's a joke or not, but if you click the "Fighting the Evidence" link, you get this:

"This page is currently under construction. Please come back when we have our act together".

Talk about begging the question... (everybody in unison now) WHEN HAVE THEY EVER HAD THEIR ACT TOGETHER???:lol:

Nails3Jesus0
Okay, after reading that site, it is a joke site. Quite funny, actually.:lol:

Bob of QF
Nails3Jesus0 wrote:
Okay, after reading that site, it is a joke site. Quite funny, actually.:lol:

I'm not so certain; I've seen that site referenced previously, by serious folk.

Then again, it is nearly impossible to tell a nutter from a fake-nutter: they both use the same silly made-up "arguments"!

catman
In addition, simply because some serious-minded ounce-brains take a site seriously doesn't mean that it is meant to be taken seriously.Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

General-Pryce
Actually, if it is a joke site then whoever made it has way too much free time as it's quite in depth. I'm inclined to believe it is a genuine site. Stupid of course. We actually had this discussion in the office the other day- how could we proove to flat earthists that the world is round, and it's quite simple really. The first thing is that both the moon and the sun are quite clearly spherical and why would that make us round and not a sphere too? Also, the very fact, that as been mentioned, of light and dark in two places at the same time. They may use the argument that the pictures of the earth are fake, but with the other two logical valid points even without pics it is enough to suggest the earth is spherical.

Doubting Thomas
It's my experience that people who want to believe in crackpot theories like this will do so in spite of any evidence to the contrary. It's sort of like how xtians believe in their religion and cling to it no matter what. Start talking to some conspiracy theorists and present evidence to the contrary, and you'll see what I mean.

Nails3Jesus0
Well, I suppose it could be a "serious" web site. Although, it would require the author(s) to be more than mere uncritical thinkers. To believe what it claims would require acutely delusional and disordered thinking on level higher than your avereage young earth creationist. In some example, they are downright pathological.
You be the judge:

"Rightly wishing to dispel notions regarding the alleged citrus-like shape of our planet, the Church was able to either silence or execute nearly all the fanatics. But a small handful remained, continuing to spread their blasphemous speeches and to promote their heretical ideals involving the very center of the universe. One of their number, who called himself Grigori Efimovich, would later be known to the rest of the world as Christopher Columbus...."

So Rasputin is really Chris Columbus. Nevermind they are seperated by over 400 years of history.

Using an elaborate setup involving hundreds of mirrors and a few burlap sacks, he was able to create an illusion so convincing that it was actually believed he had sailed around the entire planet and landed in the West Indies. As we now know, he did not. What Efimovich actually did was sail across the Atlantic Ocean to a previously undiscovered continent, North America, and even then only to a small island off the coast. It took him several years more even to "discover" his blunder and claim it as a " . . . new world". But the damage had already been done, and mankind entered into what we now call its "Dark Ages" . . . .

"Enter the Flat Earth Society. For over five hundred years humanity has believed the "round Earth" teachings of Efimovich and his followers. But all hope is not lost. For through all that time, a small but diligent band of individuals have preserved the knowledge of our planet's true shape. And now, after centuries in the Dark Ages, we believe that mankind as a whole is once again ready to embrace the truth that has forever been the Flat Earth Society. Using whatever means are deemed necessary and relying heavily on a callous disregard for the lives and well-being of our members, we have slowly but steadily been spreading the news."

I'm not sure what the highlighted portion is supposed to mean. Are flat-earthers thowing themselves off the edge in a desperate ploy of martyrdom?

This, in the Current Events section:

"After spending over sixteen million dollars and using over 48 thousand yards of industrial strength strapping tape, we of the Flat Earth Society were able to construct an enormously powerful neurotransmitter that can implant suggestions directly into the brains of the nearby non-Flat Earthers. Having set it up just outside of the Russian Antarctic exploration post (Vostok), we are awaiting word that all three scientists and 174 penguins have been shown the light."

If you still have doubts as to the tounge in cheek nature of the site, just check out their membership entrance survey. What is your favorite jellybean flavor??
If there is an archived database of the essay section, that would be a treasure trove of hilarity and inaneity.

Someone want to take the leap and join the FES? You could report back what you find. Maybe I'll just do it...
Edited by Nails3Jesus0 on 12/13/2008 08:55

Nails3Jesus0
catman wrote:
In addition, simply because some serious-minded ounce-brains take a site seriously doesn't mean that it is meant to be taken seriously.Wink

Yep. Remember the right-wing anti-abortionist fundie blogger (RWAAFB, for short) that took an Onion artical about a woman that wanted to have multiple abortions for "fun" and took it seriously? He railed against the artical in his own blog, not knowing what the nature of the Onion was, he spewed hatred and vitriol and said this was a typical pro-choicer, blah, blah, blah... The replies to his rant on his blog site were priceless. In fact, there were so many, and were so funny, someone decided to archive all the responses before he could erase them from his blog. Here's a link:

http://www.halosc...1206889457
Edited by Nails3Jesus0 on 12/13/2008 09:21

Bob of QF
Well, Nails, your last quote is telling.

But.

Having been batteling fundies since roughly 2005 over on Topix, I've come to discover that no matter how quack the idea, some asshole's gonna believe it.

And once they've convinced themselves they do believe? It's almost impossible to supplant that belief with reality.

There really is a Flat Earth society. They still exist and are active. Whether this quack-website is theirs or put up by a member, or just a Poe, we may not be able to tell.

But, remember: even such a whack-idea as "neurotransmitter" seemingly a joke, does not mean they are not serious as a mad hatter! Grin

Never underestimate the ability for human self-deception. Just google true believers in UFOlogy....

Jump to Forum: