View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » My precious!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What am I going to do with him
Sinny
Sheesh my little Norton is driving me crazy. Last night he was fine/ He ran oround getting all wild and crazy which he never does...the getting crazy part like Trixie does. But today his left ear keeps dragging downward and he's very sensitive aoubt being touched on the back of his ear were the lumpy part is. Him and Trixie usually love being rubbed there. I noticed him shaking his head towards the left as if something was bothering him. So what do I do I fake him out, catch him and attempt to put him in his carrier. What a trauma that was. He managed to almost get away a few times and I even ended up holding him upside down by one foot while he dangled up against the washing machine. He got away, of course, and hid, where else, under the bed. Now I have to try and build up trust again, which I see I may never get again, until I can attempt to once again try to get him in the cat carrier. I think I will invest in a cage and put his food in there then lock him up in it and carry him cage and all to the vet. Unless I can find an oncall come to your home vet for him. I think we will need a dart gun to knock him out for that.

I need this like a hole in my head and I think he's getting sick from me now. Either that or I get it from him. My left ear has been bothering me for 2 days now and my throat has been scratchy a few days now. I wonder if being too close to him has anything to do with it. H does like to climb up on me and rub his left ear, face on my left side (ear) then practically try to crawl in my skin. He's like a mink stole sometimes trying to wrap himself around the back of my neck and around my face, neck and shoulders. I keep trying to stop him from doing that and only allow him to lay across my side up to my shoulder so I can pet and pat him. Trixie won't do what he doesn't particularly like being held...she's a lap kitty as well as silly too.

I really don't want this ear infection which I can see he has to get worse and he gets that dizzyness from an inner ear infection that goes so deep it's nearly impossible to get rid of. Oh and I finally took our tropicla plant to work just in case he's getting ear mites from it. I doubt he just has ear mites though from how sensitive he is about the back of his ear.

Just when he seems ok he getst this Sad

Bob of QF
Truly sorry to hear about that!

I think it highly unlikely you're sharing the same microscopic critters, though: feline biology and human biology are not that close; there aren't very many cross-species buggers that are dangerous.

It's likely that his previous infection did not get completely "done" from last time, sadly. The vet may have underestimated what he needed to clear it up completely. Most anti- medicine only clears up 90% or so, and the normal immune system removes the rest. But, if the bug goes into a sort of "stasis" it can sit there dormant until the next stress-level, and come back.

It could also be the bug was partly immune to whatever anti- was used, and now it's nearly all immune. :upsetw: micro often works this way. (one of the examples of evolution I like to refer to when battling fundies)

As for the refusal to go into the carrier thing? You might try tempting him with a special treat of gooshy food.....let him eat most of it, THEN pounce with a large fluffy towel (like a net) and gather him, towel and all up and quickly, stuff the whole into the carrier. You'll need a larger carrier, though, to accommodate towel-wrapped cat and allow him enough freedom (inside) to extricate himself from the towel. The plan is, that by the time he's out of the towel, he and towel are firmly inside carrier.

Then, it's the vet's affair getting him back in side for the return trip home... they have nice sedatives in the food they may use....

....which gives me another idea. Have you tried the "for travel" pet sedative on him, yet? See your vet for some, what've you got to loose? Obviously, you'll need something mixable with his favorite gooshy food... or even some bon fide real tuna. Why not? A $0.70 can of tuna is cheap enough bribe, and won't hurt him one bit. Grin

Good luck, and let us all know!
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Sinny
Trixie loves tuna but Norton snoots his nose up at it until he's nearly starving. He runs from me as soon as I so much as look at him. Having a new guy move in upstairs probably added to his stress level and, though a simple fart stresse him, he's panicked now under the bed up against the bed frame and baseboard heater since I have a handyman fixing my closet doors and other stuff needed to be done. Trixie hides too but she comes out when they leave. Not Norton he's not only afraid of people bur me too!! I tried the towel idea and he ran so fast the towel missed every time. I hate to wait until he gets so sick he can't hardly move and I fear the infection, if there is one as I suspect, will go into the bone if not treated soon enough. He's real smart with his food but I'll try that idea. I couldn't think of what is was called "pet sedative for travel" good idea. I will try it Cool I' was thinking have a vet come here and dart his lttle ass then examine him. I've had some tough pussy cats in my lifetime when it comes to going to the vet but Norton tops them all.

Ok CD I worked fart into post :lol:
Edited by Sinny on 12/13/2008 13:11

catman
I am sorry to hear that Norton is unwell again. I will forward some catma posthaste. I've used those "travel tranqs" on my cats before; they really do help, although one of my cats gets into a bad mood and complains while he ambles around bumping into things.

As Bob said, I doubt that you have what Norton does. I also think it unlikely that his infection would go "into the bone".
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Well, Sinny, you've got a handful, there.

Does little Norton like other sorts of gooshy food? Try picking his favorite, if he has any....maybe some raw cream? (what do you have to loose? At the worst, you have some leftover cream for your pie, later.... ) How about melted ice cream?

At this point, I'd be trying anything to coax him out.... ! Grin Even raw mouse... (yeah, I'd hate buying and killing a mouse, but I would for one of my cats...)

Once he's tranked, you ought to be able to get him into a carrier... be sure to warn/remind the vet he's tranked, though, in case of drug interactions.

I agree with catman, into the bone? Unlikely.

But, untreated? He could develop permanent hearing loss, which would be a damn shame.

Hypatia
Bob suggested exactly what I was going to - a sedative. You can't pussy foot around if he needs to get to the vet and get checked out, so it's better to give him something to calm him down enough so you can catch him and get him into his carrier than to keep chasing after him and upsetting him and yourself.

If he did cop a bad mood from it like one of Cat's kits did, better that than wasting time when he needs to be treated. The cloudy mood will clear up. And as for him not trusting you - Norton kind of leans to being on the skittish side naturally, and some how or another the furry kids seem to know we're only trying to help them when we stuff them (sorry) into their carriers and take them to the kitty doc. They still know, once they get back home, that you are theirs and that things are mostly okay, but being cats, they can't ever decide things are completely okay. Who can blame them for that, after all? In other words, he'll be alright in the end and he'll still know you love him.

I hope the sweet little stinker is alright Sinny. Let us know what the vet says, and give Norton - and Trixie - lots of pets and scratches from auntie 'Patia.

Zapping out loads of kitty karma - for Norton and for you.

Sinny
Bob $0.70 cents a can of tuna?!? what? where do you get tuna that cheap? sheesh I never in my life seen tuna that cheap...not even the store or no frills brand. I will definently get a sedative from the animal hospital and askk for him and Trixie too just in case she gets too fast or strong for me.

Catman I read online that it could go into the bone just as it could for humans too. This is if left untreated and/or a certain type of ear infection. My g/f told me stop worrying everytime I see him scratch, shake or move his ears downward but I said he was sensitive and seemed like it hurt him when I lightly touched behind his ear. She told me he may just not have been in the mood for me to come poking around at him and suggested that maybe he had a ear mite. She puts a small dab of peroxide on her finger and then puts on a small dab on her kitty's ear.. not too far in just around the edges inside. I would think that would dry out her ear like it does mine. I use that rarely and just a small dab when I feel a little pain starting and sometimes it works. I got rid of my plant to make sure they aren't getting anything from that. The ends of it are brown so I figured it might be what I read online about some plants getting brown due to mites or parasites on the plants.

Norton got the scare of his life after I tried to get him in the carrier cause I had a lot of work done after I realized I'm not getting him to the vet today. I tried this when the contractor was working downstairs and by the time it was too late to take Norton & Trixie to the vet it was time for the ocntractor to come in my apt. to get work done. Norton was up against the baseboard heater completely frozen in panicked stricken fear!!! I checked on him and that's what I saw... I talked to hm to soothe him and he slightly sighed and looked slightly woozy from the stress. I know it was the stress and not dizzy kitty syndrome (Idiopathic Vestibular....) finally he rean out from under the bed and to Trixie for support. Later he was strangely friendly. Well at first he forgot to be afraid of me when the guy left. that was funny when he remembered a few mins later. But later that night and all day Sunday he was very friendly. It's as though he thought I was trying to warn him about the guy coming into the apt. Maybe he figuted I was just trying to get him away before the guy came in. I dunno just guessing what pussy cat thinking might be. Now he seems fine. I'll feel a lot better when I get him and Trixie in for that checkup.

I'll get that tomorrow and test it on him before I make another gazillionith vet appt for him. If it works I can make yet another appt. and maybe actually keep this one.

I'm not even going to consider liquid form to put in food. Norton is way too smart to fall for that. Has to be pill form or I'm up the cat litter creek.

Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
Bob $0.70 cents a can of tuna?!? what? where do you get tuna that cheap? sheesh I never in my life seen tuna that cheap...not even the store or no frills brand.

Well, I do live in Oklahoma.

I often see house-brand tuna 2 for $1 in the stores on a sale.

$0.70 is for major national brands where I routinely shop. If I want the "premium" albacore stuff? I might pay as much as $0.90 or maybe $1.

Yeah, Oklahoma is full of fundie assholes. Yeah, OK is the only idiotic state to have a majority of every county voting for McSame, yeah we have the worst Senator in the history of the USofA.....

...but you can buy tuna for $0.70 a can everyday, and you can get bread for less than a $1 (white bread, 20 oz loaf) and you can get frozen hamburger patties for $5/8 patties, and a Big Mac meal is less than $5, tax and all.

We have a $1 menu at most fast food places, with a shitload of items for $1 or so.

It's much cheaper to live here.

But we have to put up with really stupid shit, too: it is assumed that you are a Christian, unless you make it a point to say otherwise.

It is assumed you believe in some sort of god, even if you expressly state you do not, it's assumed that you secretly do, and just hate god for no reason.... ! (seriously!)

We rarely hear "happy holidays" 'round here: it's nearly always "merry christmas".

Occasionally, it's "merry christmas" with a not-at-all subtle emphasis on the "christ" part....

I think I'll go make myself a peanut butter sammich, with my $1.50 can of name-brand peanut butter, my less than $1 namebrand jar of jelly, and my $1.90 loaf of wheat bread.....

:wink:

P.S. I'm glad your kitty seems better.
Edited by Bob of QF on 12/15/2008 23:12

catman
Sinny wrote:Catman I read online that it could go into the bone just as it could for humans too. This is if left untreated and/or a certain type of ear infection. My g/f told me stop worrying everytime I see him scratch, shake or move his ears downward but I said he was sensitive and seemed like it hurt him when I lightly touched behind his ear. She told me he may just not have been in the mood for me to come poking around at him and suggested that maybe he had a ear mite. She puts a small dab of peroxide on her finger and then puts on a small dab on her kitty's ear.. not too far in just around the edges inside. I would think that would dry out her ear like it does mine. I use that rarely and just a small dab when I feel a little pain starting and sometimes it works. I got rid of my plant to make sure they aren't getting anything from that. The ends of it are brown so I figured it might be what I read online about some plants getting brown due to mites or parasites on the plants.

Well, OK. If you read it online it must be true.:bigrazz: Seriously though, maybe it is true. I'm no medical professional.

The peroxide idea is not a bad one. I consider good old H202 to be a lifesaver...I use it every time I hurt myself, and again if the injury becomes infected. As long as it doesn't get into his ear canal, and probably even if it does, it won't do him any harm. BTW, my cats don't like for me to mess with their ears, and they are as tame and spoiled as any I know of.

I see cans of tuna for 70 cents occasionally, although the name brands are somewhat higher. I give my cats the 'Purina Friskies Ocean Whitefish' cat food on the occasions when I give them wet food, which comes in a can much like a regular can of tuna (5 ounces or so). I doubt that Norton would refuse to eat that if you mixed the medicine in, unless the latter is particularly malodorous and/or horrible-tasting.

I don't mean to make you feel bad, but I think you probably didn't need to get rid of your plant. I bring in my potted plants from outdoors in cold weather to keep them from freezing. Their leaves turn brown on the ends (at least!) anyway, because they would rather be outdoors and don't understand about seasons. Wink I keep them away from my cats for the plants' own protection, as the cats will try to eat them.
Edited by catman on 12/16/2008 00:53
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

catman
Sinny: If you're lurking about, how are things going with Norton? I haven't heard any more about the subject recently. I hope he is doing well.

Sinny
Hey Cat Smile

My little Norton and Trixie are doing very well so far. Trixie sometimes gets me worried with a little scratch here and there and Norton only has a scratch now and then. Of course I am always looking to scoop them up and scramble off to the vet but I was told...Stop Worrying!! They are fine. YAY Grin She's the vet so she knows best. Well I am trying to trust she does. I always want a second opinion now and have recently found another vet who will make a house call like the first one did. I'll have to see if this one brings their bag and tools like she did. Cost is more for house calls but I don't care it's only money and they are worth it to keep them healthy. I'm not so shell shocked with the cost anymore after what I paid to keep Norton alive. He sure was worth it. He recently started jumping up on the kitchen cabinets to show off to his sister and made sure I knew he was there. non stop meow, meow, meow. It turns into a kind of shriek "hey I'm talking to you so pay attention" meow. LOL

I hope the catma keeps up Catman.. Catma how you thought that one up :lol: Cool
Edited by Sinny on 01/18/2009 18:55

catman
I haven't been sending out any catma lately. It appears that Norton is no longer in need of it. I'm happy to hear that he is doing well. Yes, stop worrying and enjoy them!Wink It seems as if your cats are almost as spoiled as mine are. When they don't want attention, they don't like to be disturbed, but when they do want it, they insist on it.

Hypatia
Maggie scratches her ears every once in a while (though I understand she didn't go through what Norton did), and I think all cats do that a little.

Sometimes I just give her a scratch and a kiss and walk away, or not. Cats and dogs are like humans in that they get the itches sometimes too, but it doesn't usually mean anything is wrong. We have very dry air here and everyone has dry skin.

We had all of our brood to the vets recently for their shots and told the dogs doc about one of them scratching more than the other. He checked her out well, and after asking questions we (the vet and us) decided it's just a little dry skin, like we get. She came here from a more humid climate and her skin was accustomed to that.

Anyhoo Sinny - glad to hear Norton and Trixie are doing so well. Relax and enjoy it! There's still all the other furry kid stuff to drive you nuts - like leaving fresh, wet, cold vomit for you to step in during the middle of the night, and them leaving toys all over the place. Hee hee.

Sinny
Yes I am very much enjoying them. They never leave vomit for me, whew glad about that. I suspect they will leave those little gems for me later in life. They also shake their head a lot too. It's like they have something in the back inner ear and they are trying go shake it off. At least that's what I always think since what happened to Norton. Trixie is on the puter desk now and getting all cutsie with me. I throw her a little kiss and she gets all excited. I stopped typing a few times to rub her and get her patty cakes going LOL. Of course she shakes her head right after I rub the back of her little ear.

Well here it is another hour later. Trixie gave up on me cause I had to let the utilities guy in for the new tenant who now claims "well I wasn't complainin about the the bill" bullshit! I said to him. You complained the bill is too high not knowing everybody is complianing about that, you're not the only one who has high bills. I told him I don't want to hear anymore about it since I replaced the thermostat. He better STFU now.

I can't control the utilities bill. If he gets any more neurotic I want him to leave. My day off to get things done, rub and spoil pussy cats and he has to start with me. I can't wait for Norton, Trixie and myself to leave here. Hopefully we can in two years at most. I think I should move us next door to their vet.

catman
Yeah, my gas bill was ridiculously high last month, but it does no good to complain.

Don't move next door to the vet! You'll drive him/her insane. Wink

Sinny
Ha Ha Ha Ha don't I know it Cat Grin Every sneeze they make I'd call and run over with them. Not only would I drive the vet crazy but my little Norton would be more neurotic than he already is, Trixie would be as neurotic as Norton is now and I would go broke paying for every single over protective panicked visit.

Hypatia
Maggie shakes her head 'a lot', but I think part of it is just 'catitude', lol. Like sometimes after we kiss the top of her head, or scratch behind her ears, she'll shake her head. I think it's her way of saying, 'That wasn't my idea, cut it out', so she shakes it off.

I think cats and dogs just shake their heads like that Sinny. It's just one of the differences betwixt them and us. Smile

Nah, don't move next door to the vet. Move next door to me. Grin

Sinny
Come to think of it most of the time they shake their heads is after I either pet them or slobber all over them but not all always.

Hey I could move next door to you and drive you crazy :yes:
Edited by Sinny on 01/20/2009 19:00

cheshiredragon
Sinny wrote:
.....I would go broke paying for every single over protective panicked visit.

This sounds exactly like my ex-roomate. She took and still does take her animals to the vet every time she thinks they blow a snot bubble. I am sure it drives her husband up the wall. I told her to give it a few months and the vet will be driving to work in his new car.
That's right, I said it...

Sinny
What really runs up the bills are the vet hospitals. We have one that's open 24/7 365 days a year. Always a Vet on available or on call. They even call them Doctors not vets. When a patient is brought in the intern immediately takes the patient in the back to be examined or have emergency procedures done. It can be quite expensive but when little fe fe or fido is dyeing it helps to have a place like that. Don't be fooled by signs that say hosptial and assume it means they are open and available 24 hours a day. I think they are worth the extra money in an emergency situation but people don't understand it's very expensive to run a hospital 24/7 all year. What tics me off is when you run into a slop assed moron like the one my little one's first went and doesn't do jack shit other than rabies shots and distemper who has the nerve to charge for services he didn't perform. Other than giving 2 shots per kitty patient. If it werent' for that expensive 24/7 hospital my little Norton would have died that night. So all in all I'd have to say the hospital bills are worth it as long as they can save the animal and don't prolong their lives unnecessarily just to run up the tab for the owner. My problem is I can't get Norton to the vet without using the carrier. I'm sure glad there's home services for hard to catch pussies. It's great for the Sr. Citizens too. Good to know that for some day.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with emergency veterinary ambulances.
Edited by Sinny on 01/20/2009 20:20

Jump to Forum: