View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » HELP!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
WTF another pop up saying I have a virus threat
Sinny
Well I got a pop up saying I have a threat of a virus coming into my computer. I quicly click on windows updates and it comes up nothing as far as needing updated antivirus software, etc.

the last fucking time I got something like this I did get the virus in my puter and it died on me.

Yet this freaking thing keeps coming up saying it's warning me to allow this to stop the virus threat to my comuter.

I get the accept the terms http://world-trus...sofuse.php

and see it "trusted-payments" that makes me wonder if it's legit. I dhows the shield sign with the colors of the windows flag but I still am leary of it.

I also get this: [url]http://protectonantivirusscan.com/2009/download/trial/InstallAVv_77075679.exe
http://protectona...075679.exe [/url]

I don't know if its really from windows or microsoft or wtf to think?

anyone have any clue or suggestions.

EDIT: goddammit how do I take a picture of a pop up box and post it here???? shit!
Edited by Sinny on 12/22/2008 20:04

cheshiredragon
It is called MALWARE, sweetheart. Most anti virus programs can't even detect them. Same thing with anti spyware programs. MALWARE and all other "WARE" related usually take manual removal to be sure it is all gone.

Next thing. Don't install that stuff. You should not have even clicked the links. All it is going to do is install more spyware and that is what kills your system. The web links will try and install scripts if you are not secured and updated but, if those fail they have to rely on you installing something to open another hole. I am at work and won't do it but, if you like I can run a scan on your system when I get home and tell you how holed up your system really is. Even further, I have a special program here where I can log into you computer(with your permission, it is a safe program designed for this) and assess the situation and tell you what exactly needs to be done and if you like I can do it for you. I was a tech before I was a network/server guy so I know my stuff. Smile

to take a screenshot:
1. when the selected screen is up, press the Print Screen key(usually next to the Scroll Lock, top right most keyboards)
2. open your favorite image editing software(I use GIMP because it is good as Photoshop and open-source(free))
3. in this program open a new file and PASTE the screen capture(ctrl+V) while in the image program.
4 save the image as a JPG.
5. find a host for the image. in this case photobucket would be great.
6 follow steps on how to upload image to hosting site
7. link here with IMG tags(photobucket has an auto copy command for several different boards)
8. submit msg
9. $profit$

9 is an inside joke
That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
Yaaah GIMP...!!! :wink:

What CD said.

I soooo hope you're using Firefox, Sinny! Please say you are?

Smile :bigeek:
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

jayon
Sinny wrote:
Well I got a pop up saying I have a threat of a virus coming into my computer. I quicly click on windows updates and it comes up nothing as far as needing updated antivirus software, etc.

the last fucking time I got something like this I did get the virus in my puter and it died on me.

Yet this freaking thing keeps coming up saying it's warning me to allow this to stop the virus threat to my comuter.

I get the accept the terms http://world-trus...sofuse.php

and see it "trusted-payments" that makes me wonder if it's legit. I dhows the shield sign with the colors of the windows flag but I still am leary of it.

I also get this: [url]http://protectonantivirusscan.com/2009/download/trial/InstallAVv_77075679.exe
http://protectona...075679.exe [/url]

I don't know if its really from windows or microsoft or wtf to think?

anyone have any clue or suggestions.

EDIT: goddammit how do I take a picture of a pop up box and post it here???? shit!

Do not ever click on a pop up that tells you that you have a virus. It more than likely is trying to install malware on your computer (if it hasn't already done that and is trying to put more). Like CD said, you probably already have malware. All you can do is close the window without clicking any buttons inside the window (including if they say "close this window"Wink. However, if it's inside another window, then it's just advertising (which happens also) and all you can do is go to another site. Either way, don't click in that window or it more than likely will load something to your PC. Unless it's a program that's been running on your PC and this is normal behavior (and I don't mean popups in a browser) then don't trust the window. If you want, click CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and see what is running on your machine. If you really want a more in depth look load the Trend Micro program hijackthis and have it spit you out a log of what's running. You'll need to go to a tech forum to analyse the info, because it will spit out a lot of stuff.

RayvenAlandria
Do not EVER click on a popup that tells you that you have a virus or are at risk of trojans etc...these ads are designed to trick people into clicking the links and IT is a virus/trojan.

Install an actual virus scanner like AVG. It is free. I gave you links in the other thread. Then if anything that is NOT AVG pops up and claims you're at risk, ignore it. It is a trick.

Install Firefox and an adblocker as well.

Oh yeah, don't even click on the *close* button on these ads, that may actually be another link to the malware and not really an exit button, no matter what it claims to be. Cntrl-Alt-Del, look for what you think is the ad and shut it down that way.

If you're infected again you'll have to clean out the malware again. There's also a possibility that something you think is a legit program is installing adware. It might be a good idea to let CD know what you've installed.
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 12/23/2008 00:12

Skeeve
I used AVG for years until their big update a few months ago. It eats up the memory now, so I dropped it and picked up avast! antivirus.

http://www.avast....grams.html

Get the free program, and it will update it's database quite frequently. It also uses alot less memory when in the background than AVG. It will scan webpages, downloads and emails. One awesome little program.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Nails3Jesus0
I use avast also.

jayon
Bob of QF wrote:

What CD said.

Hey, don't knock Opera. It's a good browser too. It was the first one to actually follow all the w3c standards. I was going to say it was the only one, but I thought firefox caught up. IE has never been in compliance. I don't know about Netscape except that I've always had a problem with it being buggy. Anyone use the new Google Chrome. I did for a little when it was still beta. I think it may be ok, but I haven't used for a while.

Sinny
Rayven, did I ever find that out the hard way. I'll never ever open anything that says I have a virus again. When I got it last time it was some site I never heard of and two kinds of viruses I never heard of before. I had Norton Antivirus then and that didn't find anything indicating I had a virus. Finally after hours it did say one of the viruses was infecting my computer but by then it was too late. Then I found out that the Norton Antivirus was part of that virus that infected my computer. Also I made the very mistake you just warned me about then. I clicked cancel and the close button and couldn't get rid of the pop up for anything. It did end up eating away at my computer and I had to re-install my windows, microsoft and re-do my e-mail with Outlook Express. What scares me is I see the same Icon on my desktop with the shield that has yellow and black stripes. I refuse to go near it out of fear it might be the same thing that kept popping up before saying I had two viruses infecting my computer. I looked into those sites Rayven and got too scared to install them. Hard to explain why maybe just still a little shell shocked from all the trouble I went through. Now no more Outlook Express and I only access my e-mail on my homepage with Internet Explorer. I don't get e-mail with Mozilla Firefox and have yet to figure out how to. I think I'll have to have another name then if I do get e-mail with firefox. I can't find out where to get e-mail through firefox like I do with IE.

Yes Jayon I am onow using Firefox to get online but only for everything else but as I just said not for my e-mail. Oh and I also disabled my add ons with IE for when I do check my e-mail so hopefully that will keep my at least temporarily safe.

I will check out an antivirus, malware with Firefox as soon as I get the chance and look into avast. I'm sure I clicked for ad blocker since I keep getting the active x when surfing the net. I am still a little leary of Mozilla Firefox since I got that pop up warning while in Firefox and it's all volunteer run. I wonder just how safe a site can be when it's run by volunteers. If it relies solely on donations then I wonder just how good the updates are and how they can afford them.

jayon
Sinny wrote:...

I've done most of my programming as a volunteer, however Mozilla is a company and they do make money via other methods. If you want complete opensource type stuff go use Gnu stuff kind of like GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It gets updated when the programmers get to it, and sometimes programs fall by the wayside. It happens in the world of opensource. Don't think the products are not good though. There are many companies who 'borrow' code from opensource projects all the time (*cough Microsoft). This is the main reason for the GPL that they have now to try and keep the code free forever. It's a good concept. Either way...

Try this. First off who do you have mail through. Yahoo, msn (hotmail), gmail, your ISP? Don't post your email or username or anything, just who through. Like roadrunner or something? All mail sites (except some work places and a few other places, but that's neither here nor there) have a way to access on the internet. Try this, when you are signing onto your email, before you put your username and pass, copy whats in the address bar and paste into the firefox address bar. It should take you to the same place (basically). Bookmark that page.
Edited by jayon on 12/24/2008 00:41

RayvenAlandria
Sinny, if your email is through a web-based company like gmail, yahoo etc...you can access it from any browser, you just need to go there and type in your password when it asks for it.

You can open your email page with IE, highlight the address in the address field, then right click to copy, then open Firefox (or you could have had it open all ready), paste it into the firefox address window and then click enter. It will take you to the page and then you can favorite it. You can even make it your starting home page by going to "tools" and then "options".

As for the annoying shortcut on your desktop, you can right click and delete it. Some *legit* programs place a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop to try to get you to go try out other software, I find that practice incredibly annoying. I hate it when I install something and then notice it plopped down five shortcuts to trial version of this or that on my desktop. I'm not sure if your mysterious shortcut was put there by a legit program, or if a malware program placed it there, but if you don't want it there, just delete it.

ETA: I just read Jayon's post and noticed he told you to copy the address into Firefox as well. Sorry, didn't mean to repeat what was all ready said, I didn't read the whole thread before I posted. Ah well. Smile
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 12/24/2008 00:54

jayon
RayvenAlandria wrote:...
ETA: I just read Jayon's post and noticed he told you to copy the address into Firefox as well. Sorry, didn't mean to repeat what was all ready said, I didn't read the whole thread before I posted. Ah well. Smile

No, don't listen to Rayven... wait, you said what I said? Pfft Nah, is ok. The solution apparently is a common and/or obvious one if more than one person says the same thing.

Hypatia
Sinny - I know I'm reiterating what others have already said - but it's a good idea to stop using IE!

You can get free email accounts through Yahoo and Gmail - Gmail is Google's email. That way, as Rayven said, you can access your email no matter what computer you use and no matter what browser you use. If you look at Google's home page, at the top, you'll see 'Gmail'. Click on that, or like I said, Yahoo, and you can create a free email account.

And you'll most likely have far fewer problems if you use Firefox as your browser rather than using IE. IE just isn't as secure as Firefox.

cheshiredragon
sinny, you can download these and they will assist Firefox. THESE ARE FOR VERSION 3. If you need for ver 2 then let me know.

FasterFox - performance enhancements
https://addons.mo...0.4-fx.xpi

IE Tab - clicking the icon in the lower right hand corner will flip the page to the IE rendering engine. Works for some of those IE only coded sites.
https://addons.mo...fx-win.xpi

I would put NoSCript up but, it is for advanced users and I am not sure a whitelist would do any good. It did not work well for my roomie.

jayon
cheshiredragon wrote:
sinny, you can download these and they will assist Firefox. THESE ARE FOR VERSION 3. If you need for ver 2 then let me know.

FasterFox - performance enhancements
https://addons.mo...0.4-fx.xpi

IE Tab - clicking the icon in the lower right hand corner will flip the page to the IE rendering engine. Works for some of those IE only coded sites.
https://addons.mo...fx-win.xpi

I would put NoSCript up but, it is for advanced users and I am not sure a whitelist would do any good. It did not work well for my roomie.

Developer toolbar is really nice, but I guess that wouldn't help either. There are all kinds of plugins. They have some for ftp, weather, well anything, but don't go overboard or you can bog it down. I stopped using weather because it was taking too much to run it. There are all kinds of things like can make life easier. Oh, did they ever get Sunbird (or whatever they call it now) working? I'd like to have a calendar also... Ok, I looked it up. It's called Lightning (well, and Sunbird), but it's still being developed. It's 0.9 though, I hope that means only a few more months, but we'll see how that works out. I don't think there has been enough demand for it or something.

Bob of QF
jayon wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:

What CD said.

Hey, don't knock Opera. It's a good browser too. It was the first one to actually follow all the w3c standards. I was going to say it was the only one, but I thought firefox caught up. IE has never been in compliance. I don't know about Netscape except that I've always had a problem with it being buggy. Anyone use the new Google Chrome. I did for a little when it was still beta. I think it may be ok, but I haven't used for a while.

I've no personal experience with Opera. This is because, basically, I'm a cheap bastard. Grin

Also, I try to support Open Source-- it's sorta like "wikki programming".

I deplore proprietary crap-ware. (I'm not saying Opera is, but IE is a prime example of proprietary programming).

Bob of QF
jayon wrote:

... Developer toolbar is really nice, but I guess that wouldn't help either.....

Personally, I hates toolbars, I really do....

...but I'm a grumpy old rat-bastard, set in his ways...

Grin

Bottom line: anything that reduces the "visible" page of what I'm trying to do, I don't like, nor use.

Frames? Hate'em. Used to have a gadget on Firefox that let me expose the frames, and only display the one I wanted.

Sidebars? Hate'em. Never use'em.

What? Hey, I said I was a grumpy old bastard... I learned on BBS's with DOS and a 1200 baud dialup modem....

....and I *still* frikkin know how to use EDLIN.....

*bleah*

Grin

RayvenAlandria
an adblocker would be a good addition to your browser. I suspect what's happening is that you're seeing a certain google ad that is notorious for trying to trick people into buying a bogus virus scanner. It makes me angry because it's an obvious scam and yet google allows the creeps to use their sponsored advertising system to spread it.

http://www.thereg...print.html

http://securityla.../3264.aspx

http://blog.eogn....nline.html

jayon
Bob of QF wrote:
jayon wrote:

... Developer toolbar is really nice, but I guess that wouldn't help either.....

Personally, I hates toolbars, I really do....

...but I'm a grumpy old rat-bastard, set in his ways...

Grin

Bottom line: anything that reduces the "visible" page of what I'm trying to do, I don't like, nor use.

Frames? Hate'em. Used to have a gadget on Firefox that let me expose the frames, and only display the one I wanted.

Sidebars? Hate'em. Never use'em.

What? Hey, I said I was a grumpy old bastard... I learned on BBS's with DOS and a 1200 baud dialup modem....

....and I *still* frikkin know how to use EDLIN.....

*bleah*

Grin

The developer toolbar is not just a toolbar though. It can help a lot for coding pages. I use that and Firebug to code online when I do so. Firebug is nice to see the css breakdown and change code on the fly while seeing what it will look like right away.

Oh, Opera has a free version out now. It's pretty good too. Who likes frames. There are too many things that can go wrong with them. The only plus is that you can view individual frames in firefox, but it's still a pain sometimes.
Edited by jayon on 12/24/2008 14:52

cheshiredragon
an ad blocker would be good but I have never found one that really worked all that well and made the page render in an unreadable or distorted format.
As for toolbars; those are just another way for a backdoor to be opened on a computer. The problem with them is the search function they have. I always discourage the use to my clients. If they need to search, go do a web search. The visual space doesn't bother me much. I have a 22" Wide that is at HD resolution(1920x1080) and my browser only takes up slightly more than half the screen. I slim down the browser screen enough to have ton of space. The navigation buttons, File menu buttons and address bar are all on the same line.

Jump to Forum: