View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
'Merry Christmas' got me FIRED!!!
cheshiredragon
No no, not me. This lady...

She a baptist, go figure. Just listen to her rants, she is delusional. She needs to stop bitching about that 10.50$/hr bullshit cause I supported the same size family for two years on that salary! This lady is just irritating..I hope it goes to court and she wastes a ton of money and ends up losing. That way here disgruntled ass can be even more broke and then ask her invisible man, "why did this happen?" and God's response, "..." "Hello, God?", "..." HAHAH

http://www.msnbc..../28370145/
That's right, I said it...
 
Hypatia
CD = you're linky dinky doesn't worky durky.

Grin

http://www.msnbc..../28370145/

There. That oughta do it.
Edited by Hypatia on 12/23/2008 21:19
 
Sinny
Geez CD you scared the crap out of me! I thought you meant yourself being fire...fire..fire gulp I can't say it and think of you.


I hope she looses the case. She has a husband to help her raise their child so what she's the only working adult? sheesh get real. He probably makes twice what she makes. I know couples where the husband is out of work from illness and some from being laid off, let me tell you one example, simply put...unemployment sucks when raising 3 kids and the husband is out of state nowhere to be found or pay child support. One of my own Brother's was laid off years ago with two kids to raise, a mortgage to pay and his wife wasn't making much baby sitting during the day while home with their youngest.

No employee gets fired for saying merry christmas it's not a legal thing where a person has to say happy holidays though I would think much more preferred in public related jobs but not mandatory. Most just answer the same way it was said to them or just say thank you ...you too and smile.
As far as having the police present that is standard procedure. Most Companies have some kind of security or security guards. When they don't they have to have someone present, usually in security, in case the fired employee either has an accident or fakes an accident which is another or only law suit they can file out of retaliation for being fired. They could claim they were so upset about not only being unfairly fired but the way they were fired and so on. They could also become destructive or steal company property when no one is watching while they leave the premises. The employers have every right to call the police no matter how calm the fired employee may be or how civil the firing may be. It's for their and the employees own protection. Sheesh this idiot doesn't know this.

IMO This bitch is reaching.. trying to play victim.
Edited by Sinny on 12/23/2008 21:29
 
jayon
Sinny wrote:
Geez CD you scared the crap out of me! I thought you meant yourself being fire...fire..fire gulp I can't say it and think of you.


I hope she looses the case. She has a husband to help her raise their child so what she's the only working adult? sheesh get real. He probably makes twice what she makes. I know couples where the husband is out of work from illness and some from being laid off, let me tell you one example, simply put...unemployment sucks when raising 3 kids and the husband is out of state nowhere to be found or pay child support. One of my own Brother's was laid off years ago with two kids to raise, a mortgage to pay and his wife wasn't making much baby sitting during the day while home with their youngest.

No employee gets fired for saying merry christmas it's not a legal thing where a person has to say happy holidays though I would think much more preferred in public related jobs but not mandatory. Most just answer the same way it was said to them or just say thank you ...you too and smile.
As far as having the police present that is standard procedure. Most Companies have some kind of security or security guards. When they don't they have to have someone present, usually in security, in case the fired employee either has an accident or fakes an accident which is another or only law suit they can file out of retaliation for being fired. They could claim they were so upset about not only being unfairly fired but the way they were fired and so on. They could also become destructive or steal company property when no one is watching while they leave the premises. The employers have every right to call the police no matter how calm the fired employee may be or how civil the firing may be. It's for their and the employees own protection. Sheesh this idiot doesn't know this.

IMO This bitch is reaching.. trying to play victim.


Actually, if you are customer service and answering phones, aren't you supposed to represent the company and not yourself? That's part of your job. I would say if you don't follow phone proceedures and that's part of your job then you should get fired. If I worked at a church and represented them as customer service (hey, don't look at me like that) I would answer the phone however they want me to as long as I don't have to say I believe it. "God bless you too, sir." Well, plus in my head it would be like saying "fuck you" to everyone. That's how me and my brother say it to each other. It's fun you should try it.
 
Sinny
If you are in customer service answering the phones the usual procedure, that I know of, would be this:

customer: thanks for your help (insert name) have a blessed day

Representative: your welcome sir/madam and you to.


or

Customer: you have a merry christmas

Representative: thank you.... you too.


or

Customer: have a happy holiday

Representative: you have a happy holiday too sir/madam


If the representavie chooses to say thank you sir/madam you have a merry christmas when the customer said have a happy holiday then the customer should STFU.. Why because the customer brought it up and shouldn't expect the representative to always say what they (the customer says).

Now lets reverse that: This time the Representative says it first. That could lead to trouble if the rep gets a pain in the ass customer. A person should have the right to say whichever one they choose. If the person is xtian and chooses to say merry christmas and the person they are saying it to chooses to say happy holidays in response then no problem. So why can't everyone say which one applies to them. Because not everyone is christian that's why. IMO any company that wants to please all or most customers will have a procedure that suits everyone and that IMO again would be wait for the customer to say it first then follow what they say. If the company has a procedure they want their employees to follow then they should have it in written policy with letter head and signed by the President, CEO so if the customer flips out at happy holidays or merry christmas the employee has their ass covered for saying what the company demanded. Otherwise fuck them all and say which ever response you choose to say.

christians have a right to say merry christmas and secularists have a right to say happy holidays just as the jews have a right to say happy hanukkah to their holiday. I also include happy kwanza
 
jayon
Sinny wrote:
If you are in customer service answering the phones the usual procedure, that I know of, would be this:

customer: thanks for your help (insert name) have a blessed day

Representative: your welcome sir/madam and you to.


or

Customer: you have a merry christmas

Representative: thank you.... you too.


or

Customer: have a happy holiday

Representative: you have a happy holiday too sir/madam


If the representavie chooses to say thank you sir/madam you have a merry christmas when the customer said have a happy holiday then the customer should STFU.. Why because the customer brought it up and shouldn't expect the representative to always say what they (the customer says).

Now lets reverse that: This time the Representative says it first. That could lead to trouble if the rep gets a pain in the ass customer. A person should have the right to say whichever one they choose. If the person is xtian and chooses to say merry christmas and the person they are saying it to chooses to say happy holidays in response then no problem. So why can't everyone say which one applies to them. Because not everyone is christian that's why. IMO any company that wants to please all or most customers will have a procedure that suits everyone and that IMO again would be wait for the customer to say it first then follow what they say. If the company has a procedure they want their employees to follow then they should have it in written policy with letter head and signed by the President, CEO so if the customer flips out at happy holidays or merry christmas the employee has their ass covered for saying what the company demanded. Otherwise fuck them all and say which ever response you choose to say.

christians have a right to say merry christmas and secularists have a right to say happy holidays just as the jews have a right to say happy hanukkah to their holiday. I also include happy kwanza


"happy white power" (somehow I see this happening and is it not a belief?). Yeah, no. If you represent the company, then whatever the policy is for the company should be followed regardless of your personal belief. I do think it should be documented and that the rep shouldn't argue with the customer about things like this (and why should they), but I don't think you should reply with your own beliefs. Yeah, the customer might get personal by saying "happy holidays" or "merry christmas", but the rep should say what reflects the company which may very well be "and you too". I personally would probably say "You have a good day and enjoy your product" or something like that avoiding the direct response altogether, but I haven't been in customer service for a while. :wtf:Grin
Edited by jayon on 12/23/2008 23:22
 
Hypatia
All the fruitcake had to do was say 'thank you' and nothing more. Now she can do what most fruitcakes are good for and act like a door stop. Sheesh.

This is just another case of a whiney christian putting on the persecution act.

Save it for the stage, Toots.

 
Sinny
Your response is a good one too Jayon. I do agree the rep shouldn't say their personal feelings or beliefs or what every they just prefer to say. I do agree the company policy should be the norm for the representative. But I also tend to think a lot of people would be a little pissed if the employee ignored the customers response and only said you have a nice or good day ignoring the holiday response by the customer. That customer, especially xtians, wold likely give a bad review for that representative. It's a sticky situation to be in... the employee can be screwed no matter what they say or what the company policy is. This idiot is just making shit up IMO. I don't think anyone complained about her saying merry christmas because lets face it...it's stupid assed thing to complain about if and I mean if the customer said something referring to a holiday first. I've had reps say merry christmas to me and I just got over it by responding you have a happy holiday/solstice and what ever you celebrate enjoy...what's so hard? really the company may have a policy but this company said she wasn't fired for saying merry christmas. They know it would do more harm than good to have a policy to not say merry christmas when the majority of customers/public are christian. I really think her complaint is bogus and I doubt many companies would make it a policy to not say what the majority of paying customers would say.
 
Sinny
Hypatia wrote:
All the fruitcake had to do was say 'thank you' and nothing more. Now she can do what most fruitcakes are good for and act like a door stop. Sheesh.

This is just another case of a whiney christian putting on the persecution act.

Save it for the stage, Toots.



He he he he that's funny Hypatia. I just go with the flow. Sometimes I still slip and say what I was taught to say all my life which is merry christmas but I much prefer happy holidays. Of course I have to say merry christmas at the family xmas gathering otherwise I'm the scrooge....bah.
 
jayon
Sinny wrote:
Hypatia wrote:
All the fruitcake had to do was say 'thank you' and nothing more. Now she can do what most fruitcakes are good for and act like a door stop. Sheesh.

This is just another case of a whiney christian putting on the persecution act.

Save it for the stage, Toots.



He he he he that's funny Hypatia. I just go with the flow. Sometimes I still slip and say what I was taught to say all my life which is merry christmas but I much prefer happy holidays. Of course I have to say merry christmas at the family xmas gathering otherwise I'm the scrooge....bah.


I guess I'm the scrooge then, because I don't really say it at family gatherings. Of course, they know I'm an atheist too. My brother who is also an atheists (but our parents/grandparents don't know) doesn't say it either, but he's more of a silver tongue than I am (even though he's more agreesive). I'm pretty blunt sometimes, even though I don't mean to be.
Edited by jayon on 12/24/2008 00:48
 
Hypatia
Hah, bumbug.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/5yjbztv.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/Laie_52.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

 
jayon
Hypatia wrote:
Hah, bumbug.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/5yjbztv.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/Laie_52.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.



now that the smileys are working, the admins can take those two and put them into the smiley bin. Where are the admins when you need 'em. Unfortunately, I can't since I'm not on my computer and can't hack my way in there. I felt kind of powerful when I made myself host for a few minutes. Cool
 
Hypatia
All hail jayon.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/shy2.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Hmmm. Somehow that doesn't look right.

All hale jayon.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/no.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Mmmm... nope. That ain't right.

All heil jayon. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/hitler.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/291.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Ack! Nuh-uh [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/no.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. wrooong!

All hell jayon.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/devil.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Huh? [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Meh.

Alright then. It's settled.

Let's all hail jayon.

Grin

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2uge4p4.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Yay jayhack.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/hanghead.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.
Edited by Hypatia on 12/24/2008 01:42
 
jayon
Hypatia wrote:
All hail jayon.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/shy2.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Hmmm. Somehow that doesn't look right.

All hale jayon.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/no.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Mmmm... nope. That ain't right.

All heil jayon. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/hitler.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/291.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Ack! Nuh-uh [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/no.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. wrooong!

All hell jayon.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/devil.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Huh? [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Meh.

Alright then. It's settled.

Let's all hail jayon.

Grin

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2uge4p4.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Yay jayhack.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/hanghead.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.


Looks like someone wants some more smileys... When I get to my computer I'll add those, unless someone else does it first.
 
Doubting Thomas
All I can say is that if this is the case, then tough shit. Everybody has to follow the rules at work no matter what their personal religious beliefs are. But I'm sure there's far more to the story than is being reported, since, as mentioned above, refusing to say "Happy Holidays" or something like that is rarely a fireable offense. I'm wondering if maybe she was not just Christian, but a Christian Christian who thinks it's her duty to convert all her coworkers, and they probably resented it.

"All I wanted was to be able to say 'Merry Christmas' or to acknowledge no holidays," she said Tuesday. "As a Christian, I don't recognize any other holidays."


And this is precisely why someone in customer service should be at least willing to recognize anyone else's beliefs. Because, when you speak to the general public on the telephone at your job, you are representing the entire company. It's too bad idiots like this just can't open their mind a little and understand this.

And really, when did "Happy Holidays" become anti-Christian? I thought the word "holiday" was short for "holy day."
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
Hypatia
In the fundie world 'tolerance' only works one way - their way (to their advantage, or not at all), and 'diversity' is only a word in their PC vocabulary, not an action in their lives.



 
catman
DT: I think it's a variation of 'if you ain't with us, you're agin us', or something like that.

Well said, Hypatia.Cool
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
The Meaning of Christmas Funny Zone 2 12/20/2011 14:31
Getting it wrong. "War on Christmas" needs better PR. Christianity 3 11/30/2011 13:26
Only two shoplifting days until christmas Christianity 20 12/30/2009 18:17
Texas teacher fired because he's Atheist The Rant Room 12 02/20/2009 00:57
I've been fired! The Rant Room 10 01/18/2009 18:06