View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Dawkins vs The State of Oklahoma
Skeeve
via Pharyngula:

THAT the Oklahoma House of Representative strongly opposes the invitation to speak on the campus of the University of Oklahoma to Richard Dawkins of Oxford University, whose published statements on the theory of evolution and opinion about those who do not believe in the theory are contrary and offensive to the views and opinions of most citizens of Oklahoma.

This is one of the most backward ass states in all of American history.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
This is another reason I decided not to attend. I don't want to risk my son getting hurt. Abbie says they expect 2 to 3 thousand people to line up for tickets. Some of her friends plan to get in line 12 hours early. That's frikkin insane! It's a 2 or 3 hour drive for me, the parking will be insane, there's no guarantee of getting a ticket, AND there will undoubtedly be protests from the nutbag christians, so it's not a place I want to take my son to.

You know there will be abusive christians harassing the people in line and it's highly possible some fights will break out. If my husband could stay home with the kidlet I'd swing by, pick you up, and we'd go together, but I don't want my son to go in case there's trouble.

If you still go, please be careful Skeeve.

I keep telling people this state is the worst place I have ever been and this demonstrates why. Granted, I haven't been to every state and it's possible some are even worse, but so far, this is the most horrible place I have ever been. A large number of the inhabitants of the state absolutely repulse me.

Doubting Thomas
That's why Kansas has prevailing winds from the south. Because Nebraska sucks and Oklahoma blows.

Really, though, the people here aren't much different. We're only another school board election away from teaching ID in school.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 03/06/2009 14:35
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
That's funny, DT. I heard it another way: It's always windy in Oklahoma because Kansas sucks and Texas blows. Texas is almost as bad as Oklahoma.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
RayvenAlandria wrote:

If you still go, please be careful Skeeve.

Nah, I don't need to go. He won't be saying anything new to me...maybe if he was speaking at Cameron University. But it's not worth the 100mi drive to put up with the lines, crowds or stupid fundies that may be present.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
.... Texas is almost as bad as Oklahoma.

Nope. It's worse.

Texas has the "fine" distinction of having put to death the most inmates over any other state (last time I checked).

Beats Oklahoma's record all to heck.

In Oklahoma, you may get yelled at and vile things said. In Texas, they just shoot you instead.... <eyeroll>

I'm never bothered by the speechifying myself; it just rolls off my back, as I know that such vitriolic feelings do their spleen far more harm that my ego.

My ego is easily large enough to withstand a few silly words from someone so obviously insane.

A bullet, on the other hand? That would hurt; I never should've let myself get exposed to that gold kryptonite, when I was a kid.... <shrug>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

RayvenAlandria
Texas has the "fine" distinction of having put to death the most inmates over any other state (last time I checked).

I consider that a positive trait of Texas. Not all atheists are anti-death penalty you know. I wish we'd execute many more criminals and ease the overpopulation problems.

Plus, you have to remember, Texas is larger than many countries, the raw stats don't matter, percentages do.

cheshiredragon
HAHA you made a funny, DT. that's a good one.

I would love to go to this thing just to picket with the Christians. Let me explain before you get all weird on me. I have done things like this before. You go to an event that you are supporting but, join the side of the protesters. What you do is make a picket sign with whatever the event is supporting and support it. For example: At this event i would make a sign that reads: "Richard Dawkins is pro-thought!" "There is NO GOD!" "HONK, if you hate the Christians protesting behind me." That last one you can replace Christians with anything.

Now you see where i am going? heheh It is so easy to do. You stand where the REAL protesters can't really see your sign and they most likely wont read it because you are there with them. It's the best!

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:

I consider that a positive trait of Texas. Not all atheists are anti-death penalty you know. I wish we'd execute many more criminals and ease the overpopulation problems.

Plus, you have to remember, Texas is larger than many countries, the raw stats don't matter, percentages do.

I have no issue with a death penalty, per se.

I *do* have issues with punishing someone for something they did not do-- even if they be guilty otherwise.

And the courts are fucked up pretty well enough, that it is rare we have 100% scientific certitude of the guilt of a perp.

Death is so final, after all. What can you do, if later it turns out the political career of the prosecutor was being made and the person put to death was innocent of that crime after all? Dig up his corpse and apologize?

"The State of Texas is sorry, Mr Jones, you were innocent after all."

Nope. Not until you have superior than our current system will I support a Final Solution such as state sponsored death penalties.

On the other hand? Cops need to be armed, and (within rational systems of action) be allowed to shoot with the intent to kill.

Just as individuals should be allowed to use lethal force to defend their homes, friends and families.

It's that "try not to kill" part of George Carlin's Two Commandments I try to live by.

Killing the most people by state murder is *nothing* to be proud of.

Especially in a state as corrupt as Texas.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

RayvenAlandria
cheshiredragon wrote:
HAHA you made a funny, DT. that's a good one.

I would love to go to this thing just to picket with the Christians. Let me explain before you get all weird on me. I have done things like this before. You go to an event that you are supporting but, join the side of the protesters. What you do is make a picket sign with whatever the event is supporting and support it. For example: At this event i would make a sign that reads: "Richard Dawkins is pro-thought!" "There is NO GOD!" "HONK, if you hate the Christians protesting behind me." That last one you can replace Christians with anything.

Now you see where i am going? heheh It is so easy to do. You stand where the REAL protesters can't really see your sign and they most likely wont read it because you are there with them. It's the best!

Okay, that is damned funny CD. I can just see you doing that. LOL

Frikkin' brilliant.

catman
Bob of QF: I was referring to the ignorant conservatism and religiosity of of TX vs OK, not the execution stats. You might bear in mind the populations of the two states, but that isn't what i was considering anyway. I think perhaps TX overdoes the executions, but maybe RA is right. As for me, I'd rather be executed than know I would be inside a prison with no hope of parole for the rest of my life.

Anyway, that's a tangent that I didn't mean to include in my comment that TX is almost as bad as OK. Maybe it is fully as bad as OK. I'm not particularly loyal to it. However, OK is a 'redder' state than TX.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
PZ has a YouTube video posted on his site made by an attendee of the Friday talk. It's a handheld recording of the first 5 minutes or so.

Make sure you turn down your stereo, tv, whatever....sound quality isn't the best.

Hypatia
i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/Yousuck.jpg

catman
ROFLMAO! That is hilarious! :laughcat:

General-Pryce
Dawkins is doing a talk here next month as part of the science festival. Its only 8 but right now, STILL being unemployed 8 is a lot. Shame.

catman
No money coming in yet, eh? That sucks. As a professional musician, I know what it's like. Fortunately, I inherited some of the Depression-era mentality from my mother.

Jump to Forum: