View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Medicine
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Way to go ObamaMan
RayvenAlandria
He's going to lift the ban on stem sell research. Awesome!

http://www.cnn.co...index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama is planning to sign an executive order Monday to overturn Bush-era policy that limited federal tax dollars for embryonic stem cell research, according to administration officials familiar with the deliberations.
President Obama will overturn Bush policy on embryonic stem cell research, administration officials say.

President Obama will overturn Bush policy on embryonic stem cell research, administration officials say.

Obama's move will be hailed by advocates for those suffering from a host of afflictions, ranging from diabetes to Parkinson's disease, who believe that an expansion of stem-cell research could boost medical progress toward eradicating the debilitating diseases.

But many conservatives object to the destruction of human embryos because they contend that it ends a human life.

The officials said the administration is planning a Monday event at the White House at which Obama will overturn the executive order signed by President George W. Bush in August 2001. It barred the National Institutes of Health from funding research on embryonic stem cells beyond using 60 cell lines that existed at that time. Interactive: Unlocking the promise of stem cells

Tony Perkins of the conservative Family Research Council accused the White House of leaking the details Friday night so that the move gets little attention, declaring that it is "a slap in the face to Americans who believe in the dignity of all human life."
Don't Miss

* Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant
* FDA approves human embryonic stem cell study
* Q&A: The stem cell debate

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said, "Advancements in science and research have moved faster than the debates among politicians in Washington, D.C., and breakthroughs announced in recent years confirm the full potential of stem cell research can be realized without the destruction of living human embryos."

In addition to signing the executive order, Bush twice vetoed legislation -- in July 2006 and June 2007 -- that would have expanded federally funded embryonic stem cell research.
advertisement

At the time, Bush also argued that scientific advances allowed researchers to conduct groundbreaking research without destroying human embryos.

Bush's moves led to Democratic charges that he had put politics over science.

Doubting Thomas
I, too, was pleased to read this. I think it's stupid to not use embryos for stem cell research when they were just going to be thrown away anyway. Claiming that they are human beings is just stupid religious emotionalism. OK, if life begins at conception, then which cell holds the soul?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

RayvenAlandria
I'm sure they think the soul is created when the sperm and egg join, or that it enters at that point.

I do think life begins at conception, or actually before, the egg and sperm are living cells after all. I believe the bioenergetic burst that occurs at conception creates a new form of life, but I don't think it has self-awareness at that point.

I would not have an abortion. I've been raped, got pregnant, and did not have an abortion. (I miscarried a couple months later though). That was a personal choice and I wouldn't expect all women to be able to make that choice. I couldn't handle the thought of killing a baby. (Yes, I think of it as a baby after the first couple of weeks of gestation.) No one is going to change my mind about that.

That said, I also feel that my way of thinking about it should not be pushed upon another woman. If a woman wants an abortion that is her business. I am against later term abortions but I feel women have the right to chose in the first trimester. I have very mixed feelings about the second trimester, but I do think third trimester abortions should be illegal.

I also have mixed feelings about a woman wanting an abortion when the father of the child doesn't want her to have one. Although it's the woman's body, it is his offspring as much as it hers. I stay out of those debates because I don't know where I'd stand if I knew two people in that situation. I hope I never end up in a situation where I know people struggling with that scenario.

catman
This is just my opinion, and I may sound like a traitor to my gender, but I think the mother should have the controlling vote in whether to abort or not, since she has to bring it to term and give birth to it. All that the father did was something that's enjoyable in any case. From what I've heard, giving birth is not. I agree that the earlier an abortion is performed, the better, and that there is little to no excuse for waiting past the first trimester.

I am overjoyed about Obama reversing the ban on stem cell research, for reasons already stated.
Edited by catman on 03/08/2009 00:36
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
I can understand your viewpoint Catman, that's why I hope I'm never in a situation where I have to help a couple struggle with a situation like that. I would be so very torn. On one hand I would relate to the man who doesn't want his offspring to die, but on the other hand I could relate to the woman not wanting to go through pregnancy and birth. I broke my back in three places when I was a teen, because of this, epidurals don't work. (juice can't get through the damaged area). I have to have natural births and because of the EDS, it is more painful than I could possibly describe and I almost bleed to death due to hemorrhaging. I am terrified of going through birthing again, absolutely and utterly horrified at the thought. Even though I am that horrified I still didn't have an abortion when I found out I was pregnant about 6 years ago though. (not the rape, it was a second miscarriage, husband's baby).

I can empathize with a woman not wanting to go through that though, so I would be very hard pressed to try to talk someone into it if they didn't want to do it, even if the father of the child wanted the child. I think I'd end up sick from the stress of not knowing what to do to help my friends (or relatives) deal with such a scenario. I hope like hell I never end up in that situation.

I am very happy about the stem cell research though, it is such important research. I think religious people are afraid people will get pregnant on purpose to sell the feti/fetuses(?) to mad scientists, but that's just nutty. Abortions are legal, and spontaneous abortions and miscarriages are going to happen, so why not learn what we can from it? It is invaluable research.

catman
You say you're horrified of giving birth again...is that already in the works? Don't mean to be nosy.

I can't help thinking that Christopher Reeve might still be among us if stem-cell research had commenced back when the arguments over it began. All the good religious folks just let him die.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
No, I'm not pregnant. I guess I worded that oddly. I hope to never get pregnant again because any kids I have will have EDS. If I'd known about it back then I wouldn't have had children, I would have adopted. Luckily my kids are not in as bad shape as I am, but my eldest is starting to get a lot of symptoms and pain now. Sucks big time.

Yeah, I feel sad about Reeve, stem cell research was important to him and he died thinking his activism was a failed effort.

catman
You're right, it sucks big time. So much for loving gods.

I think Reeve was heroic. A real 'Superman'. I admired him and his wife greatly. He didn't just go quietly.

Hypatia
Hopefully it won't take us long to 'catch up' to others around the world who are doing stem cell research. In any event - yay us.

It is mind boggling, to say the least, that we haven't been involved in this. But that is behind us now - do you hear that Bush? Behind us.

I do hope we will not only see, but actually take part in during our lifetime, some of the most important benefits derived from research and then medical treatments.

This is so exciting. A step toward emerging from the current dark age.

*Edit - Oh, yes, and Chris and Dana Reeve - FSM love 'em. Two of the most golden hearts that ever was.
Edited by Hypatia on 03/11/2009 16:35

Jump to Forum: