View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Strange night last night.
Nails3Jesus0
I'm driving home from work last night, and ahead of me I see a set of headlights heading toward me in my lane of the highway. It looks to be trying to pass another car, but it's in a section of highway with a double yellow line that lines a bridge in the middle of a very wide ravine. So I slow way down as this is a very dangerous move. As I continue forward in my lane I notice the car IS NOT veering back into its lane, so I come to a complete stop on the bridge. By this time the car is about 75 meters away from me, and looks to be only going about 5-10 MPH. All of a sudden, the driver punches the accelerator and crashes head on into me and my truck.
The impact sent my truck back about 20 feet, and launched the assulting vehicle into the air and onto its passenger side.
It took me a few seconds to gather my wits, and to shoulder butt my door open. The assulting vehicle is just outside my drivers side and on its side, the highway on the bridge is strewn with metal, glass, plastic rubble and leaking gasoline.
I make my way to other car to render help to any passengers. There was only one. A woman, approx. in her mid 30's. She was thrown into the passenger side of her vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee), and her head was between the pavement and her car. Her head, needless to say was crushed, but she was still breathing and had a pulse. By this time, other people that had wittness the colision were comming to my aid. We managed to push the car off her head and wedge my bottle jack in between.
Her vehicle reeked of booze, and the other drivers that were headed in the same direction as her were telling me that she was swerving all over the road before I came into her crosshairs. They had already called 911 to report a drunk driver before she hit me.
I don't know the disposition of the woman. It didn't look good. Massive head trauma.
And on a completley irrelevant note: my Tacoma was totally destroyed.

RayvenAlandria
Bloody Hell, I am so sorry. I was hoping you were making up a story and would have some funny ending, but I don't think you're making this up.

The woman may have been trying to kill herself or she was so wasted she freaked when she finally managed to notice you were in front of her and she sped up to escape, but couldn't control the car because she was so wasted.

My bet is she was trying to kill herself. It's very strange that she was going so slowly and then accelerated straight into you.

I don't have sympathy for her, she tried to kill another person. If she survives she needs to be charged with attempted murder. You could have had children with you, she had no way of knowing who was in the car she aimed at. I know, I know, an adult's life is just as precious as a child's but for me the thought makes it all the more horrendous.

I hope she dies. I know that sounds mean, but I feel that anyone who drives drunk or drugged out deserves to die because they knowingly put other people's lives at risk. I have zero sympathy for selfish scum like that.

I am so, so very happy that you are okay. I'm sorry about your car though, will insurance cover it or are you screwed?
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 03/08/2009 14:01

Nails3Jesus0
I'm still waiting at home to hear from the cops. As of now, all I have done was to fill out an accident report at the scene. So, the insurance question is still an unkown (weather or not she had any). Best case senario is that her insurance pays for the remainder of the loan, and I go buy a new one.
What this womans mental state was is a complete unknown right now (other than the fact that she was drunk). The suicide theory had crossed my mind, but until all the facts are in, I myself, will withold judgement. My instinct was to try and save this human being, and I hope she lives. For all I know, she could have children of her own that will pay the ultimate price if she dies.

Edit: I just recieved a call from a higher up from my work who is in contact with the investigator and he informed me that she IS alive. She was coherent and talking in the flight-for-life helicopter, and that our efforts to get the car off her head are the reason she is alive now.

catman
Wow, N3J0, that is horrifying. I wonder what the hell was going on in her mind. I'm sorry to hear about your truck, too. That sounds relevant to me.

I'm surprised you weren't hurt, from your description of what happened. Needless to say, I'm glad you weren't.

I hope I never encounter anything like that on my motorcycle!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
Nails3Jesus0 wrote:
I'm still waiting at home to hear from the cops. As of now, all I have done was to fill out an accident report at the scene. So, the insurance question is still an unkown (weather or not she had any). Best case senario is that her insurance pays for the remainder of the loan, and I go buy a new one.
What this womans mental state was is a complete unknown right now (other than the fact that she was drunk). The suicide theory had crossed my mind, but until all the facts are in, I myself, will withold judgement. My instinct was to try and save this human being, and I hope she lives. For all I know, she could have children of her own that will pay the ultimate price if she dies.

Edit: I just recieved a call from a higher up from my work who is in contact with the investigator and he informed me that she IS alive. She was coherent and talking in the flight-for-life helicopter, and that our efforts to get the car off her head are the reason she is alive now.

Truth be told, I can hold an opinion like this when it's hypothetical but there's no way I'd stand there and watch her die either. Let's hope that whatever is wrong with her, she gets help.

Bob of QF
That's one scary bit of experience you had there, Nails.

Hopefully, that poor woman will get some serious help, before she kills someone else.

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Nails3Jesus0
catman wrote:
Wow, N3J0, that is horrifying. I wonder what the hell was going on in her mind. I'm sorry to hear about your truck, too. That sounds relevant to me.

I'm surprised you weren't hurt, from your description of what happened. Needless to say, I'm glad you weren't.

I hope I never encounter anything like that on my motorcycle!

I did have my setbelt on, so that was probobly why I didn't get hurt. Although, i am a bit sore right now.

Cynic
Glad you're OK Nails. Sounds like you handled it all very well, from initial sighting to helping out. Your decision to slow way down was key, and not many people would have made it, I think, assuming instead that she would complete the pass.

And yes, seatbelts are awesome. I rolled a car over once. It slammed into a bank, pitched left, bounced twice and came to rest on the roof, and the only injuries I had were some cuts on my hands from the safety glass I crawled through on my way out the passenger door window. Shock

Nails3Jesus0
Cynic wrote:
Glad you're OK Nails. Sounds like you handled it all very well, from initial sighting to helping out. Your decision to slow way down was key, and not many people would have made it, I think, assuming instead that she would complete the pass.

And yes, seatbelts are awesome. I rolled a car over once. It slammed into a bank, pitched left, bounced twice and came to rest on the roof, and the only injuries I had were some cuts on my hands from the safety glass I crawled through on my way out the passenger door window. Shock

Thanks for the nice thoughts everyone. I don't know about you Cynic, but I don't even feel comfortable in a car without my seatbelt on. I feel naked without it. Sometimes being naked in a car is a good thing, but I havn't found myself in that situation in a LONG TIME! Sad

Doubting Thomas
Yeah, I never feel safe traveling in a vehicle without a seatbelt on.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

RayvenAlandria
No one is allowed to ride in a vehicle with me without wearing a seat belt or being in a car seat (if a kidlet). It's one thing I refuse to compromise on. I've known people who died because they were not wearing a seat belt and I have stayed with a stranger while he died because he was not wearing one. It's an issue I won't budge on.

It's usually not an issue since most people wear seat belts these days, but one time it caused a *situation*. My in-laws wanted us to ride with them to some function, I forget what, and they had my husband's lowlife sister's kids with them, and no car seats. (They were still young enough to be in one). I said something about it and my m-in-law said the kids are so used to not wearing seat belts that they cry if she tries to make them. (just BS excuses). I told her we weren't going unless they put the kids in car seats or seat belts. I lectured them about it and told her that if children cry at first they stop once they know it's not negotiable and that adults need to grow up and learn to deal with a little crying.

This went on a while until I got out of the car and told them I would not ride in a vehicle with children who were not secured. I stood my ground even though I usually just let his family have their way. This is one issue I will not back down on. I also told her that if they drove off with the kids loose I'd call the cops and report them. Boy, was she pissed.

End of story; the kids wanted to ride with me so they agreed to go into car seats. ( I had two seats in the attic from when my son was little and the eldest rode with a seat belt.) No crying, no fussing. Imagine that. They rode in our vehicle with us, properly secured, while my husband's parents rode alone and pouting.

They got over it. I am sure that when I wasn't around they were too lazy to put them in carseats, but at least when I was around they were in them.
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 03/10/2009 16:45

Skeeve
What's the latest, N3J0? Everything going well?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Jump to Forum: