View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » LGBT
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Iowa
derF
Well, it seems all is not lost in the battle to grant equal rights to all peoples. Iowa's legistlature, today, voted unanimously to legalize gay marriage in that state. This is truly an enormous progression for gay rights when a solid midwestern, supposedly right leaning state votes unanimously in favor of GBLT marriage. It is truly the beginning of the end of laws excluding GBLT from having the same rights as everyone else.

My hat's off to Iowa.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

cheshiredragon
WOW and of all places, IOWA!
That's right, I said it...

catman
I heard about that on the news. It surprised me too. Iowa, that well-known progressive state? Maybe so.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
I would not have guessed Iowa was that liberal. Cool.

Bob of QF
derF wrote:
Well, it seems all is not lost in the battle to grant equal rights to all peoples. Iowa's legistlature, today, voted unanimously to legalize gay marriage in that state. This is truly an enormous progression for gay rights when a solid midwestern, supposedly right leaning state votes unanimously in favor of GBLT marriage. It is truly the beginning of the end of laws excluding GBLT from having the same rights as everyone else.

My hat's off to Iowa.

Actually, you've got it a bit twisted.

It was the state's Supreme Court that struck down an anti-gay bit of legislation, under the states' constitutional prohibition of discrimination based on gender. This opened the door for gays to marry.

http://www.washin...03761.html

Iowa became the third state in the country and the first from the rural heartland to legalize same-sex marriage when its Supreme Court yesterday unanimously struck down the state's decade-long ban.

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
Yes, I heard this on the news the other day, and was surprised that of all places it was Iowa, a red state, that would strike an anti-gay marriage law as unconstitutional. I guess they didn't add an amendment to their state constitution like Kansas and a lot of other states did. I wonder if & how states with an amendment to their constitutions will ever legalize gay marriage?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Yes, I heard this on the news the other day, and was surprised that of all places it was Iowa, a red state, that would strike an anti-gay marriage law as unconstitutional. I guess they didn't add an amendment to their state constitution like Kansas and a lot of other states did. I wonder if & how states with an amendment to their constitutions will ever legalize gay marriage?

It'll take a national referendum. Cases in the past, where the state's constitution conflicts with the national one, the national constitution reigns supreme.

Thus? It will take a SCOTUS that has enough balls to actually enforce the "shall not discriminate based on gender" amendment.

Don't see that happening anytime soon....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: