View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How long before "Swine Flu" becomes the next anti-immigration rallying cry?
Skeeve
I can already see it. "Close the borders!!!!" "We're all gonna die!!!!"

I usually don't wager cash, but I'd be willing to bet $100.00 that by the end of the week, the far right wingnuts will be saying this or something similar.

I'm sure Faux News will be all over it.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Skeeve
Never mind...it has already started.

http://mediamatte...f=h_latest

Michael Savage stated: "Make no mistake about it: Illegal aliens are the carriers of the new strain of human-swine avian flu from Mexico." Savage also stated, "If we lived in saner times, the borders would be closed immediately." Savage went on to theorize that the outbreak might be part of a bioterrorism threat: "[C]ould this be a terrorist attack through Mexico? Could our dear friends in the radical Islamic countries have concocted this virus..."

In an April 25 blog post titled "Hey, maybe we'll finally get serious about borders now," syndicated columnist and Fox News contributor Michelle Malkin suggested that the outbreak was due to the United States' "uncontrolled immigration," writing: "I've blogged for years about the spread of contagious diseases from around the world into the U.S. as a result of uncontrolled immigration.

They are a predictable bunch...

cheshiredragon
We had a slight scare at the office yesterday. A co-worker was feeling really sick yesterday, but no fever. He sits right behind me. None of us were/are worried about catching anything. We all practice good enough hygiene and we were told that if you feel like your getting the flu...GO IMMEDIATELY to the ER or your DR. Some people have tell tale signs of when they are getting the flu. For me it is the day before, my bones, YES, my bones ache. Quite honestly I am looking forward to getting this swine flu, might be interesting.

now back on topic, A few of us at work were talking about it possibly being bio-terrorism. Not to mention the WHO said that quarantine was not feesable. Yet, when they were talking about SARS and H5N1(bird flu) that they would quarantine it. Seems suspicious to me, seeing as how FAST it just suddenly happened and how FAST they figured out what it was. A week ago this was not known about and today there are thousands of suspected cases world wide.

I think someone had blankets.
That's right, I said it...

Skeeve
Actually, all the numbers being spread this week are off by alot.

Mis-stated deaths due to Swine flu: 150+
Real number: 7

http://www.smh.co...-aml1.html

Deaths due to "regular" flu, yearly: 13,000

http://www.cnn.co...index.html

I hate fear mongering.
Edited by Skeeve on 04/29/2009 15:28

Doubting Thomas
Yeah, I think the media just likes to overhype the latest illness. First it was West Nile Virus, then it was SARS, then Bird Flu, now Swine Flu.

My wife said this morning that she was concerned because you can die from swine flu. I told her that you can die from regular flu, too, if you don't take care of yourself.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Cynic
Not all flus are equal in their ability to kill you, though. I don't know shit about this one -- just saying.

The media frenzy thing gets weirder every year. People immediately related to events get all pissy if their isn't a frenzy. A lot of the participants of the recent tea-bagger tantrum have been bitching because only Fox News covered it to the degree that Fox News did, apparently obvious to the idea that it says more about Fox News than anyone else.

What I love is when the media starts to get a little carried away and suddenly they start becoming the news itself, with articles, commentaries, and polls wondering if they're getting carried away, followed by even more intensive coverage of the very topic they're wondering about. These news outfits are getting so internally huge and balkinizzed that they're hopelessly unable to control their own message anymore.
Edited by Cynic on 04/29/2009 16:47

cheshiredragon
I agree DT & Cynic. A manager came over just a few minutes ago and the conversation that came up was about the media hyping it up so that people WILL be clean and prevent the spread of the virus. It is simple scare tactics. Religion uses it too. Behave or burn in hell. This is wash your hands or DIE!

Also what came up from another co-worker. He asked, "How fast do you think the border would have been shut down if we were under the previous administration?" A few of us speculated on that for a min and it would have been shut down immediately, placed on lock down any border hoppers would be shot on site. I honestly don't doubt that it would have happened. Anything and everything that can be blown out of proportion WILL be. I think it falls into Murphy's Law somewheres
That's right, I said it...

catman
The Fort Worth ISD has cancelled classes until May 8th. Amazing.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
In Israel they are calling it Mexican flu for some mysterious reason.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Cynic
If that's true, it's because they're "offended" by the association to pork. Fucking babies...

Skeeve
derF wrote:
In Israel they are calling it Mexican flu for some mysterious reason.

True, because of the pork thing they didn't want to offend anyone. Yet calling it "Mexican" isn't offensive to Mexicans?

It's sometimes hard to tell who are the bigger bigots....Christians or Jews.

Cynic
I don't consider it necessarily offensive to name a disease for its regional origin -- there's an occassional tradition to that, as with Spansih flu. But there's also a tradition of naming diseases from their developmental origin, and changing its name from what it's already being called over the inclusion of a meat product your bible is down on is just stupid.

Skeeve
I agree...so why aren't they calling it North American flu or Eurasia flu?

http://www.nytime...ref=health

I learned some new things at that link...won't you guys/gals learn some new things too? Grin

So convenient for this to break during the height of torture talks, and to show up in Mexico.

BTW...as of this afternoon, only 8 deaths attributed to this flu.
Edited by Skeeve on 04/30/2009 18:04

Sinny
The media likes to hype up any and all illnesses, flue's, viruses, etc. to get ratings and sell papers. People panic not only because of the constant hype but because they know if it [whatver broke out] is air borne, life threatening that kills in a matter of hours or days then it could spread that much faster and quickly become a pandemic. In order to prevent a possible pandemic, until known if it is or not, the borders do have to be closed temporarily to prevent further spreading. If I were vacationing in say Mexico and they had a flue, virus going around that could be life threatening without something to prevent it from killing me, I wouldn't want their borders to be open to me or anyone else. I'd rather be a little cautious and safe than sorry later or dead. Now that doesn't mean we should panic everytime there's some virus going around but this is what the media does....get people to panic then place blame. I hear from a lot of people who say we have so many vaccinations for old viruses, diseases, etc that haven't been around for years but stopped the vaccinations so they could come back or mutate into something else. Some of the vaccinations weren't stored or won't work if they mutated into something else, stronger.

It's not that all of 'they' bring it into our Country. It's we are becomeing over crowded. We are all so very close together like packed sardines that it's easy for just about anything to quickly spread. Working in buildings that are hermetically sealed, which there are more of today than in the past, doesn't help.

Cynic
Pretty much every flu vaccination you've ever had is different than the one before it. They monitor what's going around and build it from what they predict will that year's Big Three, two of one major type (by where the mutations are), one of the other, I think. There's no point in giving out last year's shots because mostly likely, that strain doesn't even exist anymore.

I hear they're calling this one 2009 H1N1. That's really unfortunate, IMO. This isn't the first H1N1 and it won't be the last. Now everyone is going to think each one is just like this when the next might be so tame people wouldn't even notice it.

derF
Cynic wrote:
I don't consider it necessarily offensive to name a disease for its regional origin -- there's an occasional tradition to that, as with Spanish fly.

Hope you don't mind that I cleaned your quote up a bit, Cynic. It's been a while since I have been exposed to any Spanish Fly!!! I hadn't realized it was considered a disease.

Hypatia
A report on the local news tonight said that stores all over the city are sold out of hand sanitizers and have been receiving loads of calls from people wanting to know when the shelves will be restocked with them. Sheesh.

I've become so sick and tired of seeing this story on the front of the newspaper and hearing about it as the lead story on the news.

The media knows the difference between how to assist medical professionals and first responders by telling people the basic facts - but no, to them this is the perfect kind of thing to fill hours of air time and home web pages with, and do their civic duty in contributing to the overall feel of public anxiousness and chaos.

derF
Patia, I too cannot believe the hysterics that situations like this bring out of the public. We lose thousands yearly to regular flu, even more to car accidents and industrial accidents and we never say a word about it. But something new, like Oink Flu comes along and a few hundred people (worldwide) succumb to it and the news media whips us into a feverish frenzy of panicky fear. Damn, we are gullible.
Edited by derF on 05/02/2009 02:05

Hypatia
That was pretty much the point Bill Maher made tonight on Real Time - he asked (paraphrasing), 'What about the flu flu? It kills thousands of people every year and doesn't cause this kind of media hype and concern from the public.'

So true.

People should be washing their hands and practicing good hygiene even if they may not catch the flu - put that on the news and in the papers. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gaah.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. lol.

Doubting Thomas
It's probably because the ordinary flu is so mundane that there's no angle to hype. But get some exotic "bird flu" or "swine flu" that infects maybe 900 people and it's the next black plague according to the media.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: