View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
An invention that could change the internet for ever
Skeeve
http://www.indepe...78109.html

The new system, Wolfram Alpha, showcased at Harvard University in the US last week, takes the first step towards what many consider to be the internet's Holy Grail a global store of information that understands and responds to ordinary language in the same way a person does.

Although the system is still new, it has already produced massive interest and excitement among technology pundits and internet watchers.

Computer experts believe the new search engine will be an evolutionary leap in the development of the internet. Nova Spivack, an internet and computer expert, said that Wolfram Alpha could prove just as important as Google. "It is really impressive and significant," he wrote. "In fact it may be as important for the web (and the world) as Google, but for a different purpose.

Apparently they have a large crazy person contingent in the Comments section.

Personally I think the hype may overshadow its true effectiveness to "revolutionize" the internet for everyday users.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
Sounds promising, Skeeve. I agree with you about the 'crazy person contingent'! One went into a political rant featuring Al Gore, while another used the phrase "while electricity lasts"! Now that's funny!:lol:
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
I assume this all related to just the English language. It makes me wonder what the hard drive capacity of its server is. It must be massive. Maybe that's what they meant about "while the electricity lasts".
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

RayvenAlandria
I have high hopes for Wolfram. I would love to see the day that our computers can look stuff up for us when we ask it questions but that day is still a way's off. This is a step in that direction though.

Jump to Forum: