View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Medicine
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Warrant issued for mother refusing to get chemo for son
Doubting Thomas
http://news.yahoo...rced_chemo

A mother who is refusing to get chemo for her son has disappeared with him, so the judge in the case issued an arrest warrant for her.

The judge has said Daniel, who has a learning disability and cannot read, did not understand the risks and benefits of chemotherapy and didn't believe he was ill.

The Hausers are Roman Catholic and also believe in the "do no harm" philosophy of the Nemenhah Band, a Missouri-based religious group that believes in natural healing methods advocated by some American Indians. Colleen Hauser testified earlier that she had been treating his cancer with herbal supplements, vitamins, ionized water and other natural alternatives.

OK, that's fine, but these things just don't work. Why not try praying and laying on of hands while your at it? Hell, sacrifice a goat for all I care, but do it after you get chemo for your son's tumor. He's not going to live without it.

I don't care what you do for yourself, but children should be cared for medically. Don't be a murderer because you believe in a bunch of pseudoscientific bullshit.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Cynic
These people are obviously not related to Doogie Hauser.

derF
DT. This is just a perfect example of how a little worthless belief can be so dangerous. This lady, who's son is dying, has been brainwashed by her fellow believers into believing in a useless therapy, that they have stupidly deemed as effective. She believes whole heartedly in the teachings of her fellow believers. And even though they are completely wrong, she will allow her son to die because she is so uneducated that she can not come up with any other recourse.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

cheshiredragon
This reminds me of a lady I knew growing up. An older couple in their 50's when I was in my teens. I used to work on their computer and they always seemed like intelligent people. I cant remember names and I really wasn't into their personal life, just fixing their comp and whatever they talked about in passing while doing so. The wife was into this herbal medicine stuff and I don't know exactly what she was dying from but, the only thing these herbal medicines did was worsen her condition. She ended up dying on her front steps. My mom said that her feet were pretty much rotting off her body when she last saw her and for the last few months of her life she didn't wear shoes.
That's right, I said it...

Doubting Thomas
That's the danger in most "alternative" medicines. At best, they do nothing. At worst, they actually make your condition worse. But the very real danger with these useless "cures" is that people will put all their faith into the fake medicine and forgo getting conventional medical treatment, which usually saves lives. They therefore end up dying from the illness anyway.

Of course, if they do get conventional medical treatment and use alternative treatments at the same time and end up getting well, the alternative treatment always gets the credit.

Sinny
Sometimes alternative medicine, holistic medicine & therapies or even supplements help more in comforting than anything else. They don't cure or cause remission. they merely do a very little boost if anything at all for common colds, leg cramps, etc. only simple non life threatening conditions/illness. It's ok to use them if they don't interfere with conventional medicine such as perscriptions and other treatments. We found out that the umpteen vitamins and supplements my Father took actually hindered his perscription medication and ultimately made his condition worse. These Companies are real con artists. They send letters that are oozing with emotions that appeal to the heart and appear to be so caring. They say exactly what the ill person wants to hear just to make the sale and keep them coming back. I have even been told I could be cured if I change my diet and my diabetes will go away. I say bullshit!! it may keep it under control but it won't cure it or make it go away. Same thing with the freakin lapband people say it makse the diabetes go away. No it doesen't and I went to the seminar even though I don't weigh enough to get it I still went and asked the Dr. will getting this make my diabetes go away....he said yes it will go away. I know right then and there the Doctors were actually telling this nonsense to their potential patients to sell the product and it's a flat out lie. If they get this and their sugar levels stay too low they can go into shock. So it's not cured. Companies selling a product, wether it be holistic supplements, alternative medicines or plastic gimmicks, will say anything a person wants to hear just to sell the product.

Religious beliefs need to be outlawed when those beliefs come before conventional medicine and necessary surgery. They can always try all the other nonsense after first using what is known to work and has been tested, regulated to save lives. I hope someday soon we see laws changed to protect innocent young children. They deserve every chance to live with quality of life. It's one thing when adults are stupid enough to do this and can decide for themselves but sheesh give the kids a chance.
Edited by Sinny on 05/21/2009 18:58

catman
The bottom line is the bottom line.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
Actually I do believe that the lapband can make diabetes disappear. My mother-in-law had gastric bypass surgery and she no longer has problems with diabetes. My wife had it also, and she was borderline diabetic, and now she is perfectly healthy.

cheshiredragon
At least they are not still claiming that obesity was caused by a virus.

Sinny, you have just perfectly described American Marketing. i loved that whole thing in high school where they tried to tell me, "they can't print/say it if it's not true." bullshite. Greed and deception are basic human traits. The people who have this prominence are sales people. They are driven by greed and deceptive in getting what they want.
My ex is trying to get that lapband crap done cause she is borderline type II diabetes and I keep telling her that only diet and exercise will help her. I think the only reason the lapband helps certain people is because it stops them from stuffing their fat faces with too much garbage.
That's right, I said it...

Sinny
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Actually I do believe that the lapband can make diabetes disappear. My mother-in-law had gastric bypass surgery and she no longer has problems with diabetes. My wife had it also, and she was borderline diabetic, and now she is perfectly healthy.

I don't think perfectly healthy would be the right term. Healthier yes, under control yes but not healthy on their own. I'm curious though DT do they still monitor their sugar levels? Gastric bypass is pretty extreme but it does help a lot. What gets me is how so many people are over weight and don't have diabetes, hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia which tells me it's not just weight. I have a cousin that's 500 pounds and doesn't have diabetes type 1 or 2. I have other cousins who are extremely close to his weight different ages and they don't have diabetes. Yet my Aunt did and she was never anywhere near the weight they are anymore than I am or have ever been.

Sinny
cheshiredragon wrote:
At least they are not still claiming that obesity was caused by a virus.

Sinny, you have just perfectly described American Marketing. i loved that whole thing in high school where they tried to tell me, "they can't print/say it if it's not true." bullshite. Greed and deception are basic human traits. The people who have this prominence are sales people. They are driven by greed and deceptive in getting what they want.
My ex is trying to get that lapband crap done cause she is borderline type II diabetes and I keep telling her that only diet and exercise will help her. I think the only reason the lapband helps certain people is because it stops them from stuffing their fat faces with too much garbage.

Obesity caused by a virus Shock. They way they package their idea and products I wouldn't be surprised to find some people actually would believe that idiocy. The lapband is suspected of helping to keep it under control and it's suspected, by the Company selling the product and told only by Co., CEO's, the band itself has something to do with it according to what I was told. It's not just the loosing the fat but the band tightening is what they suspect is the reason. I'm not talking about the band tightening to limit food intake I'm talking about the effect the tightening has to do with the reason for the results. Weight is not the only reason for it. They have a lot more studying to do. They aren't anywhere near having real proof of if, how the lapband can cure not just control diabetes.

Jump to Forum: