View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Movie Discusssions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Oh no...
Doubting Thomas
I just read where they're going to make a remake of the movie "Footloose." Is this really necessary? I hate when they remake movies, because the remake is rarely as good (or any good) as the original. Like, for instance, the remake of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," which was not nearly as good as the original. Why don't they come up with new ideas instead of rehashing ones that have already been produced?

We might as well remake "The Godfather," since it was made way back in 1972 and I'm sure there's some aspiring director who thinks he can do a better job than Francis Ford Cuppola.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
It's easier to rehash old ideas. Simple as that. It worked before, so why not again?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
Egad! That movie just sucked anyway.
I couldn't tell who was more "white."
The actors or the dancing...
That's right, I said it...

catman
I never saw it, so I can't critique it. I simply wasn't interested.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
[b]Doubting Thomas wrote:We might as well remake "The Godfather," since it was made way back in 1972 and I'm sure there's some aspiring director who thinks he can do a better job than Francis Ford Cuppola.

There is an old expression that goes something like this: If you fill a large room with enough typewriters and enough monkeys, sooner or later one of them will write Shakespeare. Which means that if you leave them alone for a trillion years one of them will eventually type up a manuscript that rivals Shakespeare. Relevancy? After thousands of years of various types of drama, there are very few original, unused ideas for a new novel, movie, play or whatever. There is really nothing left to do except hope for a new twist on an old concept. Occasionally there comes along an idea that feels fresh but, upon serious study, it usually pans out that it is only a remake of an earlier idea.

Although I never edited this post I felt it was necessary to make it look like I did.
Edited by derF on 05/21/2009 01:27
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
I think that anything that can be written is influenced by everything that the writer had previously absorbed, consciously or not. But the new combination may be unique in its own right. I'm thinking of the question primarily from a musical standpoint, naturally. One can't help but be influenced by what he has heard before, but that doesn't mean that his improvisation or composition can't be other than a slavish imitation.

Hypatia
Remakes. Bah.

At least make something that 'seems' new, and give it a new, original name.

*Edit - four months or so later, lol. I just saw this thread.
Edited by Hypatia on 09/11/2009 01:44

Bob of QF
Didn't like the original "footloose"...lame concept, lame acting, lame "dancing".

The only thing it had going for it was the anti-dancing parochialism and how the kids overcame that in the end-- which was pretty unrealistic, in face of how small towns really work.

Can't imagine how you could salvage anything interesting from the silly ideas the original movie presented.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
'Footloose' had its day - back then. At the time dancing was a big thing, so it had a place. I myself was dancing at the time (obviously pre SCI) - mostly jazz (style of dance), and 'Footloose' was one of the most popular songs used around the country in recitals. But I think it was some of the music, not even the movie, that anyone really liked, and even then it was because Kenny Loggins did it and it could be danced to.

But like most movies, the originals, whether we liked them or not, had their time when they were made, if at all, and remakes usually just don't work out.

Jump to Forum: