View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
T.V. Commercials for Scientology
Hypatia
These are something new to me. No doubt they figure other churches are doing it, and now atheists and freethinkers are advertising via buses and billboards, so why not them, which I suppose is only right.

Three times now I've seen commercials on t.v. for Scientology. Twice the t.v. has been on mute, and I only briefly caught seeing the end. Tonight the sound was on and I caught a just a little of what was being said, but not enough to tell what they're trying to convey to people with the ads.

Has anyone else being seeing t.v. ads for Scientology where they live?

derF
Sadly, no, Patia, I have not. Don't watch a lot of television. Mostly movies, news and dance competitions. But I will keep an eye out for it. And report appropriately.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
lol, I would think happily no.

Wink

cheshiredragon
Same here, I don't watch enough TV and when I do it is usually on Science, History or Discovery & like channels. I have noticed a lot of the commercials on these channels is to promote other shows on similar/same channels and have very little ad space for products. It seems the people that run these stations are generally out to ID bullshite and notice most ads as blatantly false or complete bullshite(IE: Scientology) and do not air them. I have just recently noticed this too. It is quite interesting...Then again Jan was the first time I have had anything better than basic cable.
That's right, I said it...

Hypatia
I don't watch all that much t.v. either, and although I'm not sure which channel/s the commercials were on, they weren't on any of the 3 major network channels. I watch similar channels as you do CD, and we have Dish, so it was on one of those kinds of channels.

If I see one of the commercials (or as I see them, ads) again, I'll make note of what channel it's on.

Doubting Thomas
Yes, I've caught them a time or two.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
Did you catch what they're trying to pitch to people DT? Or do they make that as clear as mud?

I'm just curious, because they seem (to me) to try to lure people in a different way than other religions do.

Sinny
I have seen one or two but not for a long while. I only remember how they are a little different. They don't come right out and say what they really are all about. They also don't say anything about how ridiculously expensive they are.

I can't think of the word I'm look for to say they hide a lot.

Hypatia
Sinny wrote:
I can't think of the word I'm look for to say they hide a lot.

I know what you mean Sinny - that's a way that they are glaringly different.
Edited by Hypatia on 06/12/2009 22:17

Hypatia
It's what they don't say about it, and how they don't say it that says so much about it. At least to those who already know at least something about it already, but to those who know nothing about it - *watch out.

*Edit - except they don't know to watch out.
Edited by Hypatia on 06/13/2009 14:22

Doubting Thomas
I think they are very vague, but it's been a while since I've seen one. They don't mention scientology until the very end.

I'm just glad we don't have a lot of scientologists running around here (that I know of).

cheshiredragon
ARGGG! I finally saw one last night! It was like a bad milk commercial. I wasn't really paying attention, but it was saying something about "a new start" or "a chance to see the light" it flashed images of a few smiling people and then SCIENTOLOGY.COM. I had a twitch and a brief yell at the end of it and my roomie looks at me with a puzzled look and asks, "Was that a scientology commercial?" She couldn't believe they were trying to pitch bullshite like that on the air. What is more disturbing is I completely contradicted my earlier post. IT WAS ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL. I was watching a rerun of The Universe and caught it. There is an FCC and then TV censors and even paid executives to not allow certain things on TV. WHY? I ask "WHY, does some of this shite get through!?"
That's right, I said it...

Hypatia
I was watching the same show, CD, and saw the commercial too, with the sound on this time.

I was watching it thinking, 'WTF - is this a douche commercial? No, no - wait, is it for a travel agen... no, no, is it for... Stepford people? WTF? Scientology? Get outta here!! No, really. Get out of here!

Doubting Thomas
LOL, Stepford people. I like that.

derF
Funny how different stations cater to different advertisers because the advertiser may be reaching more of their 'preferred' customers on that station than they might on another station.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: