View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Trial opens in faith-healing death case
Doubting Thomas
http://www.oregon...nt_ar.html

A couple is charged after letting their daughter die because they decided to pray for her to get better instead of taking her to a doctor.

I don't care if people want to do this to themselves, but children can't make their own decisions. I hope they're sent to prison for a long time. Plus, I would love to ask them why God didn't answer their prayers. Of course they probably think that it's "part of God's plan" which doesn't explain why they were praying in the first place, since apparently no amount of praying can get God to change his mind.

Just another example of how dangerous religion really is.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Adam Ajaja
In the language class which I am substitute-teaching in, there is a guy from Colombia who told me about how when his daughter was born, the doctors wanted to induce her because of dangers. Him and his wife went "nah, nah, it's god's will", etc...

They were lucky the kid survived, but where the fuck do these people get off complaining about abortions when they will let their kids die because of their backward tribal crapola?

Hypatia
Horner said that when detectives asked Brent Worthington whether he was concerned the night before Ava died that she might not survive, he replied "yes." Instead of seeking medical care, the couple relied solely on prayers and faith healing, Brent Worthington told detectives.

The Worthingtons never denied medical care to Ava, said attorney Mark Cogan, who represents Brent Worthington. "They never felt it was needed."

They never felt medical care was necessary because they thought what was happening to that little girl was 'gods' will. A cold my ass. It wouldn't have mattered what her symptoms were to people who were going to call the situation 'gods' will and think medical intervention wasn't necessary.

I'm fed up with these religious freaks who allow their children to die because of their beliefs. I want laws everywhere that hold them accountable and make them pay for doing this to people who don't have religious beliefs, but only beliefs that people who love and care for them will keep doing so.

Like DT, I think if, as adults, they want to rely on prayer and 'divine' intervention rather than seeking medical care for themselves, I don't care - but they have no right to decide to allow children to die from illnesses and injuries, or to deny medical care, for any reason.

goddammitjesuschrist

catman
My ex-wife's mother died because she was a Christian Scientist (an oxymoron if ever there was one) and didn't go for cancer treatment until it was much too late. At least it wasn't a child dying for the parents' delusions. (She died before I met her daughter, thus she was never my MIL.)
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
As expensive as health care is in this country and with as many people as there are without coverage maybe these folks felt they had no other choice. Hey, look! I am not condoning it but lets consider all the angles here.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
But that isn't what they're claiming. That might be one thing if they were, but they aren't - they specifically said they only needed to rely on prayers and faith healing.

Adam Ajaja
If the defendents were atheist parents, I bet "oh we hoped they would get better" would not be a valid defence. Only state-recognised delusions would

Sentinal
***If the defendents were atheist parents, I bet "oh we hoped they would get better" would not be a valid defence. Only state-recognised delusions would

i agree with you adam, indeed it would be a different story, according to their delusions and the delusional law system the dead girls parents have a leg to stand on unfortunately. i believe the medical system in america is quite inadequate in terms of free healthcare, i come from a land which has abundant free healthcare. i have never paid for a doctor in my whole life, coming from australia, but, occasionally we get crazy fundamentalists who do these very things to our young, so there is definately no excuse for the complete shirking of parental responsibilities. appaling. you get put in prision longer for stealing than murder in some cases in aus. the mind boggles.......

i agree with doubting thomas in that they should be sent to prision for the rest of their lives for murder, but they may get involuntary manslaughter. an example of religion becoming criminal. there is hospitals for these people.......mental asylums for the psychotic paranoid delusional.

sin
There is such a thing as clinics. Plus no hospital will turn down a dyeing child. If it's because of money well they do say money is the root of all evil and if they chose money over the health and life of their child they failed the god test. Plus the fact that, as Hypatia pointed out,

Horner said that when detectives asked Brent Worthington whether he was concerned the night before Ava died that she might not survive, he replied "yes."

That answer "yes" right there shows he had a lack of faith that the god would heal Ava therefore he is held responsible by the god law and secular law to get her to the hospital. I see that answer as admission that he knew prayer wasn't working.

Jump to Forum: