View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Utah sheds blue laws
Doubting Thomas
http://www.sltrib...i_12735395

No longer do people have to buy a membership to a bar in Utah in order to enter. The law was passed some 40 years ago by (who else) the Mormons in order to try to limit drinking. Like usual, when politicians try to limit something, the laws just become a huge pain in the ass. The governor struck down the membership requirement laws this week.

Could this be a sign that religious influence, even in the Mormon theocracy of Utah, is starting to fade?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Adam Ajaja
Awhile back on another board I really wound up this mormon preacher who lives in Bournemouth. I kept reminding him about how his religion was racist and assumed blacks were the "children of Cain" until the late 70s. When he popped up on the board I would ask him for news of the KKK

Me's a bad boy Grin

But to answer your question, it is looking like in many countries that at the very least restrictive laws set by the christian cults are dwindling. With them, will go the influence of the churches. Still, it will be a slow old process and no mistake
Edited by Adam Ajaja on 07/04/2009 12:29

Sentinal
lets hope so, it is called religious opression. the more it fades the better our society will become.

in australia, around easter time and good friday, the television is dominated with religious movies and bible readings along with church live. ugh!

the church tried to stop footy games on good friday and even sundays, can you believe. we have a traditional cricket test on boxing day which they tried to stop too, but it was all to no avail. fortunately their stronghold in our society is starting to fade/fail as people can see no reason to listen to them.

i dont know much about america and how the religious systems work there, but australia is by no means a theocracy anymore. the mere idea that the church is controlling the tv and sports events is downright stupid in my view.
Edited by Sentinal on 07/05/2009 01:09

derF
As one being born in Utah, (Clearfield to be exact) I have had first hand experience with this miserable, unexplainable and easily dismissed Religion. When I was three we moved to another heavily Mormon enclave in south eastern Idaho and I have seen firsthand how their brainwashed followers pedal around communities and try to enlist new victims, err, I mean suckers, err I mean members for their church. They used their influence to pass laws forbidding sale of hard liquor anyplace other than a state controlled outlet and you could not purchase alcohol at all on Sunday. But, just like in prohibition days, the people easily skated around these laws and did what they please until saner heads realized the futility of such laws and abolished them.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
http://www.sltrib...i_12735395

No longer do people have to buy a membership to a bar in Utah in order to enter. The law was passed some 40 years ago by (who else) the Mormons in order to try to limit drinking. Like usual, when politicians try to limit something, the laws just become a huge pain in the ass. The governor struck down the membership requirement laws this week.

Could this be a sign that religious influence, even in the Mormon theocracy of Utah, is starting to fade?

I think the governor just wanted to be able to go to bars and not have to have multiple memberships.

J/K. I think this is definitely a sign that the religious stranglehold is losing a certain amount of its grip in Utah. Those quoted in the article who expressed concern about the change in the law were concerned due to the possibilities of the effect it could have on rising DUI incidents - not because of religion.

Surely many of those in favor of the change are also religious, but are able to see the overall advantages to both the state and the individual.

Money talks - even to the religious, when it's in their favor.

JohnH
I drove through southern Utah in 2006. I visited Zion, the north rim of the Grand canyon, Bryce and Hovenwipe National Monument. The only beer I could buy was at two gas stations with small stores one of which was in Arizona. Utah remains a difficult place if you like a beer or six in the middle of a hot afternoon.

Weird the odd religious effects in some small states and communities. Once in southern Idaho I had problems getting car parts on a saturday afternoon. Years later a man who grew up in southern Idaho told me it was probably a seventh day adventist community.
Edited by JohnH on 07/05/2009 21:31

derF
JohnH wrote:
I drove through southern Utah in 2006. I visited Zion, the north rim of the Grand canyon, Bryce and Hovenwipe National Monument. The only beer I could buy was at two gas stations with small stores one of which was in Arizona. Utah remains a difficult place if you like a beer or six in the middle of a hot afternoon.

Weird the odd religious effects in some small states and communities. Once in southern Idaho I had problems getting car parts on a saturday afternoon. Years later a man who grew up in southern Idaho told me it was probably a seventh day adventist community.

Well. that is why the founding fathers made room in their new government for local government. People need to feel that they have control over their immediate surroundings and so state, county and city governments were included in the charter. Hypocritical Mormons are allowed to control the sale of alcohol and others substances in areas where they are the majority. I don't agree with it but that is constitutional.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: