View Thread

Print Thread
Alright where the hell is it?
Sinny
I am going out of my mind trying to find where it was stated that one of the requirements to hold office is to believe in god or something in reference to that.

Yes I know the Constitution says: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" but I could have sworn I read somewhere that they have to believe in god. Argh.

derF
Uh, I'll look around for you Sinny. But it doesn't ring any bells with me.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Doubting Thomas
I think it's in Article II of the Constitution where it states that there will be no religious test for president of the U.S. I'll have to look it up.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Doubting Thomas
Nope, I was wrong, it was Article VI of the Constitution which says there will be no religious test to hold any office.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Sinny
Thanks DT I knew that was somewhere in Constitution. If I am correct in understanding it then it means one doesn't have to be religious to be eligible to run for public office. Which means there really isn't any like written law stating they or anyone has to be religious it's just the individual voting nutjobs who make it a requirement.

I thought sure Bush Sr. did something to make it where a person who wants to run for public office has to state they are religious or believe in god. I may be confusing this with the inauguration being so religious. I don't understand why it is if the the Church and State are to be separated I never did understand that and why former Presidents have gone to a priest or pastor or some minister for guidance publicly :headscratch:
Edited by Sinny on 08/17/2009 19:53

Hypatia
Most of them just try to re-write the constitution and have everyone believe it's always been the way they try to pass it off. That's one of the reasons the 'moral majority' think the US is a christian nation, and that the US constitution was written by christians.

Sinny
Yes but they try to re-write it through word of mouth, which is nothing more than lying. I could have sworn there was something where it was written saying it was a requirement. Eh maybe I just read it somewhere that Bush wanted that to be a requirement or it was in another State somewhere. It sickens me how they make it a requirement when voting which makes it nearly impossible for anyone who's not a christian to run for office let alone get elected.

Doubting Thomas
Like the bible, most Christians haven't read the Constitution. So you can tell them that anything is in there and they'll believe it if it's in line with what they want to be true.

I think individual states have lines in their constitutions that state that you have to believe in God to be a state senator, governor or something, but I think the US Constitution nullifies them. I'd like them to try to force that law on a duly elected atheist state senator. I'm sure it'd be ruled unconstitutional in a hurry.

But, unfortunately we atheists have not yet achieved religious equality. You do have to be a Christian in most areas in this country to be elected to anything. If it gets out that you're an atheist, they'll vote against you in a landslide.

Jump to Forum: