View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » My precious!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
R.I.P. Dolly dog
Doubting Thomas
Our 6 year old shih tzu Dolly died unexpectedly today. We're very saddened by her death. We're not sure what caused it but we think it was a heart attack or stroke. Thankfully she went pretty quickly and did not suffer. We buried her this evening at my in-law's. She will be missed.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
DT: That's horrible. I'm so sorry. Pets are family. It's especially bad when they don't even get to live a more or less full life. As I am certain that I'm not cheering you at all with that, I'll stfu. But I really do empathize and sympathize.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
Sorry to hear that DT.

Hypatia
Oh, DT, I'm so sorry. I've lost dearly loved pets (aren't they all?) too, and my heart goes out to you and your wife.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4xvim2p.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Doubting Thomas
We still have Dino, her youngest puppy from her last litter, but I'm afraid he's going to be lonely and have a hard time adjusting. But if we didn't have him I think we'd really feel a total sense of loss. Without another dog running around the house it would really feel empty.

Skeeve
Sorry to hear, DT. Pets can be very close friends and losing them really can hurt. Grab another pup at the pound to keep Dino company...he'll forget quicker than you will.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
That is a great idea, Skeeve. DT, you'd be saving a life and giving Dino company.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
I'll echo getting another pet soonest. When my cat of 14 had to be put down, I grieved a great deal-- loved Buttler. But, I got another quickly. I think it is best to get another pet right away.

And this time around, I got two cats... (yes, both used shelter-rescues. I've raised enough kittens-- fun, but they are a great deal of work, too...)
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
Right now isn't a good time for us to get another because we're just about done remodeling our house and will put it on the market soon, then we're going to move. Plus we have a baby due in a few months so taking care of a new puppy isn't really what we want to do right now. Perhaps after our son turns 3 or so we'll consider getting another puppy. But my in-laws have Dino's brother and dad to play with, so we take him there a lot so he won't get lonely.

Many thanks for all the kind words. We're still saddened by Dolly's death but are coping. We really do miss her, though.

Cynic
Those are all good reasons to hold off. I've been thinking about this very situation myself lately. I've got two cats that are the same age that are fast approaching their expiration dates. I don't generally like the idea of mixing really new with really old -- it can be really unfair to the really old ones. At least, that's one way of looking at it. What is comes down to is I don't want to have to deal with it. So I emphasize completely.

Doubting Thomas
Dino's only 3 and really playful, so I think a new pup would work out well with him. But it's just not a good time right now.

Jump to Forum: